Macbook Pro 2012 non-retina 15" keyboard replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jetsam1, Jun 27, 2017.

1. jetsam1 macrumors newbie

Did something stupid.........

All day working the bees in the heat and sat down with a Gin and Tonic and brain switched off for just long enough for me to pour all of my lovely, refreshing beverage all over my MBP. Fortunately brain kicked in again in a mad panic and it all got wiped up. So keyboard is dead. But everything else is a-ok.

My question is: Is it possible to replace the keyboard myself? Bear in mind the only really technical thing I have ever done with a computer is replace a display on an Acer about 10 years ago!!

Or is it best just to go to the local techie and get it done professionally? Are they likely to say it is unrepairable do it's age or that it is too complicated? I have tried an external keyboard but it doesn't seem to work very well and is a bit inconvenient. We have a Premium reseller who I have used in the past for an Applecare repair and they seemed pretty good.

This was a pretty high spec machine (Quad core i7 2.8) and as we are trying to get a business going I would really rather not replace it if I can do to spends. Hence looking at repair if at all possible. Otherwise I will have to reclaim the MB Air from my wife...... Uh oh.....

In good news my old 2008 MB unibody has resurected itself from graphics death (somehow) so that makes me happy as I am typing this on it currently.

Otherwise it could mean getting hold of an Apple external keyboard and mouse/trackpad.....

Cheers!

2. seeforyourself macrumors regular

Since you have to get to the keyboard (obviously), you will need to go from the bottom to up. So you will need to take EVERYTHING out. I would suggest just bringing it to apple. I think it's like $250 for the repair.

For the meantime, I would just use the other MacBook that you are using now and keep the other one off to prevent damage. When the newer one fully dries, buy an external keyboard that just needs USB to be powered.