MacBook Pro 2012 not charging!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by harveyburger54, Mar 16, 2016.

1. harveyburger54 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I'm having a major problem with my 2012 mbp 13". When I plug the charger in the light doesn't come on and the battery doesn't charge, it does however, stay at the same level but will drop if I unplug it. I know it's not the charger as I have tried others. Is it my battery or could it be software? I tried cleaning the port but to no avail

Thanks for any help!

2. LOLobo macrumors member

Try to make the connector closer to either of the "walls" on the macbook. I have this issue at times with my old 2010 MBP, and it starts charging after playing with it.

3. chscag macrumors 68000

It sounds like you might have a flat battery. If you intend to change the battery yourself, you'll need a special screwdriver to remove it. You can find the instructions and the tools at www.ifixit.com. Mac Sales (www.macsales.com) sells a good battery and of course, so does Apple.

4. harveyburger54 thread starter macrumors newbie

My battery status shows fine using a health testing app, or will this not show that?
    I am in Taiwan for the next few months (from UK originally) so I try to find a website here. It may be worth upgrading in the end :/

Thanks for your help btw!

5. St13v13 macrumors newbie

St13v13

6. MacEMT macrumors newbie

Even if your battery was shot, the MagSafe light should come on. I would try resetting the SMC, it's easy and free. To do that, connect the MagSafe adaptor to you powered off Mac. Press and hold left shift + control + left option + power button for 5 seconds. then power you mac back up, hopefully now charging your system.
    WARNING: This will reset any custom power options you have made back to default.