MacBook Pro 2012 Optical Drive screws stripped!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Programminggorp, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Programminggorp macrumors newbie

I screwed up half an hour ago.
    I was exited to replace my optical bay with a hard drive caddy, and finally get rid of that thing I never used. I've opened my mac a few times before to change the HDD to and SSD, but this was my first time tinkering with the optical drive.

Anyways, I encountered two screws which were impossible for me to remove and got stripped to the max. I browsed some threads for what people recommended, like rubber bands, soldering, glue, none of which worked or were ideal for me.

I did get the optical drive removed, after a bit bending it accidentally snapped... I was able to fit my caddy in there, but wasn't able to screw it down because it was "sitting" over the damn screws already there.

I screwed up and should of read posts before I started. Does anyone know how I can remove these screws? After the cd drive broke off, the pliers I have are too big, should I get needle nose pliers and try?

This isn't my first time opening a laptop is tinkering on the inside, but hell I was surprised at the tightness of these screws!

Any help appreciated, thanks :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. zombiecakes macrumors regular

if it fits snug then you dont need to screw it in

3. Programminggorp thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess so. But my main concern is it shaking around, and warranty. If I ever need to send it for warranty I'd be able to purchase a cd drive cheap for $15, but I really need these 2 screws removed then. ****.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Have you tried using a smaller Torx or Socket screw head that fits? If not, give it a try. That usually works for me with small stripped Philips screws.

5. Programminggorp thread starter macrumors newbie

That thing is like a smooth circle now, no way it is going to budge with any screw driver on earth now.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The Torx or Socket screws don't slim out at the tip, and the extra groves gives in more resistance even if it doesn't catch on to something. You might have force a slightly bigger head half way thru, then turn, and most likely it will not slip. I been thru this a thousand times, and 9 out of 10 times it works even when the notches in the screw are completely gone.

7. Programminggorp thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, do you have any links or images to these I can recognize
    I am a noob at these things, relying on my fathers toolbox. I thought I was good working with my standard phillips set until this problem...

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The first two on the left in the holder. Since the screw notches are completely stripped as you say, you want a size that barely fits in the screw. It's not going to slide as you turn it, it will catch to the walls of the stripped screw because of the angles.

You can buy a set for cheap. They come extremely small to large in a set.

[​IMG]

9. Programminggorp thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, i saw plenty of those in the toolbox. I'll try it and report back what happens.

10. Candurin macrumors regular

You can also try a flat head screwdriver. You may even have drill the head slightly to make some surface area for a head to "bite" into. Not sure how small of a drill index you have on-hand.

It is tough with such small screws.