MacBook Pro 2012 Retina - temperature sensor issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisstclair, Aug 4, 2016.

1. chrisstclair macrumors newbie

I have a late 2012 MacBook Pro with Retina Display and recently I've had some issues with it. Firstly it began to not charge properly - the charger light would stay orange and never go to green, and it wouldn't boot up (I imagine the battery was discharged and was failing to charge). This seemed to resolve itself but lately it has been unusable due to the system being extremely sluggish (taking 10 minutes just to open Safari), and the fans being at top speed constantly.

After some research I discovered I could run the Apple Hardware Test to diagnose any hardware failures/issues, and it indeed find a failure with the code below

4SNS/1/C0000008: Ts0P--124

After some research I discovered this is an issue with the palm rest temperature sensor - which makes sense as obviously the system is running away with itself and running the fans at max speed. I've tried resetting the PRAM and SMC to no avail.

I'm unable to get an appointment at the Genius Bar for at least a week and I do not drive so I can't drive to one with more availability so I'm wondering if there is anyway to fix this myself. If not, would this likely require a full logic board replacement or is the sensor quite simple to replace?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Honestly I'd just take it to the Genius Bar. Cracking into a Retina model is more hassle than it's worth. Regardless, I've had a bit of a mosey around on iFixit to try and get you a definitive answer about what would need to be replaced. Nothing certain I'm afraid, which would further indicate it's not worth going straight in with the gloves and scalpel.

Your model also has a documented issue with the graphics failing, which is covered until the end of this year. Although the error code indicated an issue with a sensor, you never know what other problems they'll find. So hey, they might be able to fix the lot without an issue.

At the absolute very least, they'll be able to definitively identify what you'd need to resolve the issue. Hopefully somebody here may be able to provide a little more information. But I'd say hold off on the screwdriver and chisel for now until they take a peek at it. :)