Macbook Pro 2012 SSD Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maninder, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Maninder macrumors newbie

:confused: so i bought it Ocz Agility 3 120gb on my Macbook pro 2012 but not happy with results :( :confused::confused: any body know what im doing worng :( pls help me!! :eek:

Attached Files:

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Did you do a clean install of Lion? Is your SSD in the optibay?

3. Maninder thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i did fresh install with lion and no dvd drive is still in there :( just took 500gb out and put ssd in thats itt :(

4. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Did you look at the specs before buying this SSD? This is off the OCZ website for your model SSD.....

Screen Shot 2012-07-26 at 10.24.48 PM.png

Looks like your write speeds are in the correct specifications since the website says 80 mb/s sustained. Your read speeds are a little slow, but nothing to worry about since it is close to the advertised specs. If you were supposed to get 500/read then I would worry. I hate to say it, but if you wanted something faster you should have gone with Crucial M4 or Samsung.

5. Maninder thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for reply but this is the hard drive i have in my macboo pro im no way near read n write speed :(

Attached Files:

6. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Whoops! I showed you the specs for SATA II drive. It looks like you've done everything fine as far as the install. The only thing I see in your pic is that you have trim enabled. I've read on here that trim can slow some drives. I am not sure if OCZ has garbage collection but on my crucial M4 I have trim disabled and it runs just fine.

7. Maninder thread starter macrumors newbie

yess i did disk test with Trim NO tests was slow then in patch Trim file to yes just hopeing this shud work but sadly no Luck :( im installing ML today soo im hopeing ther cud be bug in lion thats all i can think of right now :( cuz same ssd was used in 2010 sata2 tests was wayy better then this 2012 sooo i dnt know why ? :(

8. korbearus10, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

korbearus10 macrumors member

This might be a known issue with the OCZ Agility 3 and MacBooks. I just found another thread with almost similar benchmark[link]. I suggest you contact OCZ.

Okay, according to OCZ forum, BlackMagic tests using sequential read/write. If you check the specs of OCZ Agility 3, your benchmark aligns pretty close to the numbers for sequential read/write. [link]. If you took a look at the specs for Samsung 830 SSD, the sequential read/write are about 520/320MB/s [link].

BTW, where did you buy the SSD?

9. zone23, Jul 27, 2012

zone23 macrumors 68000

Its because Blackmagic uses incompressible data when running the test. You need to run a test like AJA System Test which uses compressible data. It has something to do with the SandForce SSD controller.

Edit:
    I attached a screenshot of my score.

Attached Files:

10. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Even with the Blackmagic, my M4 gets 210mbps write and 520 read.

11. ryane67 macrumors member

Can I ask a question...

Aside from the benchmark, does it "feel" fast enough for you?

Yes-> Calm down and carry on

No-> try some different benchmark stuff.

I just installed the same drive in my desktop PC and its very fast. I did not bother benchmarking because well.. im happy with the "feel"

12. korbearus10, Jul 27, 2012

korbearus10 macrumors member

I'm gonna shut up real soon now, but the OP might want to read this article on Anandtech. It talks about how OCZ Agility 3's performance suffers in regards to incompressible data [link]. This is probably the reason why you got lower than expected results.

Google seems to say Sandforce controller based SSDs like Agility 3 don't perform well with incompressible data. If you find previous BlackMagic results of Agility 3 with high benchmark, this might be the reason:

13. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Ahh I see. Sequential is low on OCZ...

14. zone23 macrumors 68000

I want to try running AJA System Test on the MacBook Air and see what it scores because it will do like 500MB sequential Write (I think it was) so I wonder what it will score with the other benchmark.

All I know is I called OCZ about this very issue they said to use another benchmark AJA System Test is the one they recommended. I though about returning the drive because of it but otherwise its just blazing fast the AJA scores looks good.

15. Maninder thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you soo muchh guys for reply but aja test dnt work i press start few times but no luck sooo you saying that my read/write speed is close to 500mb/s but sequintial is just sloow right? :)

16. korbearus10 macrumors member

I'm not exactly sure about the sequential part (although the OCZ Agility 3 spec does show lower number for sequential), but I think it's got more to do with the fact that Blackmagic test uses incompressible data, which Sanforce based SSDs aren't great at. For reference, Samsung 830 and Crucial M4 uses different controllers.

17. zone23, Jul 27, 2012

zone23 macrumors 68000

Running AJA System Test on the Mac

Goes like this

Open finder go to your hard drive right click then get info. At the bottom click the lock to unlock it. Under permissions add yourself as Read and Write. Run test again. See attached images.

Attached Files:

18. zone23 macrumors 68000

YAY! My OCZ is faster then the MacBook Air using AJA System Test. This is a factory Apple 256GB SSD in a 2012 MacBook Air. BTW she loves it, it is pretty nice.

Attached Files:

19. Maninder thread starter macrumors newbie

korbearus !!!!!! you r legend!!!!!!!! thank you sooo muchh and all other users too for such a big help AjA is working and ....

write 468.6mb
    Read 457.3Mb AWSOMEEE!!!! :D:cool::p:apple:

Attached Files:

20. zone23 macrumors 68000

Here is the MacBook Air Blackmagic just so you can see..

Attached Files:

21. Maninder thread starter macrumors newbie

yeaa yeaa you got me on that one :D ha ha ha i cant show you blackdisk test :D ha ha well lets sayy dsnt work on my computer anymore :d only AJA works ha ha:D

22. torana355 macrumors 68020

Your Crucial M4 does not use a sandforce controller that is affected by incompressible data that Black Magic uses.

23. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

yeah I get it now