MacBook Pro 2012 to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Globug, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

I just got a brand new laptop, its a 13 inch mbp from mid 2012. I went from a 2009 edition. The reason i'm saying this is i'm trying to figure out how to connect it to my tv, and can't. The new one has a thunderbolt connection, but i can't find any dvi or anything else.

Does it even have anything else, or am i suppose to connect it via the thunderbolt? Thanks in advance. Stupid girl here. :confused:

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter: should be $29.

3. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Check monoprice.com, better quality than eBay, just as good price.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The Thunderbolt port is backwards compatible with Mini-Displayport cables. If you already had a Mini-Displayport to HDMI adapter for your 2009 model then that should work fine with the 2012 model as well.

6. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

thanks for the info. I didn't have anything for my 2009 MBP. Which is why i was all ready to buy a dVI connection and realised i don't have anything on the new laptop. :)

----------

one other question: would this give me sound and picture on my tv or would i have to get another cable for sound?
    Also is a Mini DisplayPort | Thunderbolt® to HDMI® Adapter w/ Audio Support the same thing as a thunderbolt? OR are there 2 diff types?

7. B... macrumors 68000

B...

If you get a good quality one (aka Apple's),I believe it also has sound. If you get a cheapo one, maybe not. Otherwise, make sure it says: audio supported.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Yes.

You quoted the very post that answered that question. It's not the same thing but Thunderbolt is backwards compatible with MDP.