Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
I've tried resetting the SMC and disabled handoff. Here is the output of the terminal command that apparently helps sort out the reasons:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Last login: Sun Oct 8 09:59:20 on ttys000
Camerons-MBP:~ cameronjones$ pmset -g assertions
2017-10-08 10:03:42 -0400
Assertion status system-wide:
BackgroundTask 0
ApplePushServiceTask 0
UserIsActive 1
PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep 0
PreventSystemSleep 0
ExternalMedia 0
PreventUserIdleSystemSleep 1
NetworkClientActive 0
Listed by owning process:
pid 114(hidd): [0x0000001300098050] 00:00:00 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle.4294968108.3"
Timeout will fire in 600 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease
No kernel assertions.
Idle sleep preventers: IODisplayWrangler
Camerons-MBP:~ cameronjones$
--------------------------------------------------------------

Whether closing the lid while on battery or clicking Apple logo - sleep, the system wakes up after 60 seconds, and runs down its battery overnight. Any ideas? Thanks!

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Any suggestions? Still haven't found a solution :(
maybe log out of your account before you close the lid. If it goes to sleep when you close the then, then it seems that there's a programs or app running the background that's preventing it to go to sleep when you close the lid.

Only idea that I have unfortunately.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
maybe log out of your account before you close the lid. If it goes to sleep when you close the then, then it seems that there's a programs or app running the background that's preventing it to go to sleep when you close the lid.

Only idea that I have unfortunately.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot and see what happens and update here.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
FYI, problem still happened even when no account was logged in. It also had happened when the current user (me) was not on the computer at all, and there was only a different user (the previous owner).

I think my next step will be to try a full wipe of the computer, unless there are any magical other ideas.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Final update, I think - I performed an internet recovery install of High Sierra, which did not erase any data (though I expected it to) and appears to have magically solved the problem.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Oops, spoke too soon. Turns out the issue just comes and goes to a degree. So it kept happening. Last night I tried a full wipe and reinstall, but the problem remains. So it would appear to be hardware related unfortunately. I think this is just a computer that will be turned off instead of allowed to sleep, sadly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.