Macbook Pro 2013 15" Hit 90C+

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VRevs, Nov 17, 2013.

1. VRevs macrumors newbie

Dear all,

I started to export a movie file using imovie on my new macbook.
    Half way, the CPU temperature hit 90C+ causing the fan to run on full swing... :eek:

Now its idle at 61C (full swing 6000rpm on both fans), 15min later after the exporting is complete.

Is this common? I don't remember the processor ever hitting 90C+ on my old Macbook Pro 2010 (non retina) version when I use imovie. :confused:

PS: I use smcFanControl 2.4 to monitor the temperature on my macbook.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From what I've read and experienced this is typical. The fans did what they were supposed to do, as the CPU was under load and getting hotter.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

What do your temps look like exactly? I 'd be interested in comparing temps.
    When I startup some full CPU load. My temps go up to about 99C and with the fans kicking in a bit delayed they settle somewhere above 90C. I think it was 94 +/- 3.

I also noticed that regardless of CPU activity the MBP always provides full CPU speed. If Iris Pro is active the TDP of the chip goes up to 55W TDP. Starcraft gaming with Iris Pro leads to a package consumption that peaks at almost 60W and settles at 50-55. While if the dGPU is active the CPU package uses about 10W less all the time.

Anyway full CPU speed is about 30-35W on the core and that leads to really high temps on my late 2013 MBP. Somehow it feels too hot. I know some people reported that with Iris Pro only the fans never really kick in. Did they just never really push it? or do I have a really hot model?

Would be nice if more people could post temps in different load scenarios on their new 2013 15" retinas? I am also interested in GPU temps while gaming.

4. shootist macrumors regular

This is totally normal for all new Mac notebooks when you actually do something on them. Apple figures most people just gaze at the screen and the overall design and not do real work on them.

All Mac notebooks have limited cooling so be careful how hot you get it.

5. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

This is not the point, the point is you DON'T have to do much and these machines are just blazing - hot out of the box, it is like plugging in a block heater. When you just watch the first minute of a 30 minute documentary at medium quality and the machine's fans roar full on while the heat is quite present, really should make everyone wonder. It is what you get for "thin and light".

I guess for ever 1000 machines they sell 10 or them are problematic but multiply that for the amount of users around the world, outside of this forum, who do not know how to address the issue, who just keep getting their logic boards switched out, we don't know. Some people play heavy duty games and render massive videos and don't complain about heat or fans, are some people ignoring or denying the problems too?

Thanks.

6. shootist macrumors regular

Yes I do believe most Mac users, those that have been around Mac computers for a while (how do you say Mac Fanboys), ignore & deny any Apple product isn't a Cut Above all other systems available.

7. yangchewren macrumors regular

The fine nuances of humour of this post are admirable and I would like to express my agreement and appreciation of this humour.

But now to add my opinion of the topic at hand. I believe that there is no thermal throttling on a MBP should you decide to max out either the use of the CPU or GPU, but not both. Yes, power throttling may occur.

But the temperatures that you've mentioned should only affect the usability (due to discomfort) but has little bearing on the general longevity of the laptop.