Macbook Pro 2013 not going to sleep properly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkeep, Apr 1, 2014.

1. jkeep macrumors member

Hi,

I had a macbook pro 2008 for 6 years & never encountered a problem. I then
    bought a 2013 model last year and thats where the problem started.

Basicly I use my macbook in my lorry about 6 times a day, when Ive finished using it I close the lid & put it in an "incase" neoprene sleeve.
    On quite a few occasions it didn't actualy go to sleep after closing the lid and just kept running in its sleeve without me realising & getting realy, realy hot & when I took it out it wouldnt fire up unless I rebooted it with the power button.

I spoke with apple on several occasions but they didnt have a clue what was causing it so after several weeks they agreed on an exchange.

I recieved my new Macbook & after several days it did it again & stayed on after i closed the lid.
    Apple then said I had to close the lid & wait for the LED light to dim before putting it away Hmmmmmmmm ok, not great but its all they could suggest.

I usualy do wait but if i,m in a rush I might forget to watch it & just close the lid, put it away & on several occasions it has carried on running in my bag again.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Does anybody know of any issues/solutions.

Kindest,

Jeff

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Well i to had a similar issue but two of my function keys had got deformed i rang apple and they said its not covered in warranty but i can get it analayzed and pay for the key caps. I agreed when i took it to have it replaced they covered it under warranty. When i got it back the same issue happened but nothing was damaged i found it to be a software that was busy and prevented the mac from sleeping. I would close any apps and then shut the lid and then open the apps one at a time and repeat the test to close in on the app thats doing that. Usually this happens when the sensor fails but since its occured on two different machines i suspect some software.
    I guess i was lucky they did mine on warranty, the key caps need to be purchased as a whole set and costs half the cost of the top case with battery.

3. jkeep thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I will try to keep all my apps closed but you shouldnt have
    to after spending £1300 on a machine :(

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The problem is not with the machine, but with the software installed in it.

5. jkeep thread starter macrumors member

Ok, what sort of software?
    The only ones i have running apart from the pre-installed software ie iTunes, mail, safari might be VLC or utorrent.

Kindest,

Jeff

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

There's probably something running in the background. Have you installed any 3rd party apps other than the ones that came with your Mac?

Check your login items too.

7. jkeep thread starter macrumors member

A few but the only ones that maybe running apart from the usual mac stuff would be VLC & utorrent.

How do i check my log?

Kindest,

Jeff

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

My bet is on uTorrent.
    Since uTorrent is keeping the ports open and active, the Mac doesn't think it's safe to sleep.
    Maybe try Transmission instead and see how that works.
    That's what I use.

9. jkeep thread starter macrumors member

Never used it but I will certainly give it a try :)

Kindest,

Jeff

10. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Your uTorrent setting probably have you as a server for uploading the files you've downloaded, so will always be active.

Barney

11. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Well it was utorrent that prevented my mac from sleeping

12. jkeep thread starter macrumors member

Ive downloaded & installed transmission & removed Utorrent and
    will let you all know if thats fixed the issue but i wont be certain
    for a few weeks though.

Thanks a bunch for all your help :)

Jeff

13. timsaxman macrumors member

A friend of mine had this problem with his 2012 15" rMBP. He said that the fans will cool it down to a certain temperature before completely sleeping, which means that the hotter it is the longer it takes (not too long though). If you tuck it away it won't cool, just get hotter until it's so hot that it's shuts down.

14. jkeep thread starter macrumors member

Thats what mines been doing & its bloody annoying, you would have thought that shutting the lid should be all thats needed, hopefully not using
    utorrent works for me.