Macbook pro 2013 retina sleep + wifi issues what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appleoranges, Jul 20, 2014.

1. appleoranges, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

appleoranges macrumors newbie

VIDEO OF THE PROBLEM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCJfNyZVouI&feature=youtu.be

So whenever i let my macbook go to sleep for 10+ minutes, the wifi turns off automatically or its on but it can't detect any network. And whenever I try to turn on or off the wifi through system preferences, the wifi refuses to turn back on therefore the only solution is to reset my macbook.

I've resetted the NVRAM, PRAM, deleted the bluetooth files that might've associate itself with the wifi, disabled cloud keychain, and even updated my OS to 10.9.4 which was supposed to fix this issue but the problem still persists.

My first apple genius appointment he ran the apple hardware test and said the wifi hardware is still working, he told me to come back with a time machine back up

Second apple genius appointment, pretty much reinstalled mavericks but the problem came back when i went back home (30 min drive)

The second apple genius told me if the problem persists, he might have to keep my macbook for the next 48 hours with the apple store and have a tech throughly diagnosed my computer.

So my question is that if I go to the apple store for the third (hopefully final) time, is it possible for me to get a macbook either new or refurbished replaced on the same day? This macbook is my primary computer so I really want to avoid waiting for 48 hours.

Oh if it matters the problem also occurs in my windows 8 bootcamp perdition as well. And my warranty is still valid

Update 7/23/2014: from the 3rd visit the apple genius deleted the bluetooth preferences again and it doesn't work and he even tried logging on with his apple genius account onto my mac and the problem persisted in there as well. He concluded that its not a software issue and it could either be a logic-board or wifi card problem. Ended up shipping my macbook to texas for 3 days to get the wifi-card replaced but the problem still persists till now.

UPDATE 7/24/2014: went back to the apple genius and he said that it's definitely the logic board that needs to be replaced. He was also confused why the apple repair center didn't thoroughly check it. He also reinstalled mavericks just in case that my OS was corrupt before sending it off. The problem appeared again On the fresh mavericks and off to the apple repair center again, looks like I'm macbook less for another 4 days. Also if this is related to the logic board, when I wake up my macbook from sleep, I have a blank black screen so pretty much the screen is not turned on but the apple light in the back appeared. Only solution was to force shut down and reboot.

UPDATE 7/30/2014: got my macbook back from the apple store, with the logic board and display assembly replaced. When I received the macbook back from the apple genius, opened it up and the problem still persisted! Had another apple genius to diagnosed my problem and she told me that they'll send it in for repair.

BUT she said you've been here five times and she doesn't want to waste my time so she just opened up a new macbook hand it to me! This is a new mid 2014 macbook with a + 0.2 ghz spec bump! Overall happy with apple! And I'm still curious why the problem still persisted with the hardware replacement AND a fresh operating system.

2. appleoranges, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

appleoranges thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: 4th visit so i did cave in and they ended up sending the macbook to texas to get it repaired, 3 days later, got it back today and it said they replaced the wireless wifi card. BUT the problem still persists, what do I do now?

3. pragmatous macrumors 65816

It's a known bug. Happens to me all the time. I just turn it off and back on and it comes back up.

The recent update that was suppose to fix it didn't really fix it.

4. appleoranges thread starter macrumors newbie

I did try turning on the wifi on and off but it doesn't connect any wifi, therefore the only solution is restarting it.

5. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Ya that's not the bug then.

I'm not sure what that is. You should call apple and say what they did didn't fix the issue. You should also buy applecare+ if you haven't yet.

6. appleoranges thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll most likely make an apple genius appointment tomorrow and showing them that their repair didn't work. I'll try to get a video up in a few hours showing what my problem is exactly. Am I allowed to ask for a replacement unit for my 4th visit?

7. pragmatous macrumors 65816

It doesn't hurt to ask.

I'd be curious if it's a motherboard problem because the wifi card plugs into the motherboard. I suppose it could also be the display because I believe the antenna's for wifi is in the display. At least it typically is.

Weird...

8. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

Yes you can inquire and even insist. I've seen it work.

I would try on your current system first a complete reinstall but don't add the TM backup and test. If it works you may have some corruption although hardware may still be the issue.

Even if you get a replacement I would test before adding your backup.

9. appleoranges, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

That's what I did with the 2nd visit to the apple store. Reinstalled mavericks with apple, let it sleep and went back home (30 min ride), woke it back up to use time machine and bam, the wifi can't detect any network, even with the fresh install of mavericks.

What's funny is that with the third visit we used the apple genius profile on the Mac, and it even disconnected that profile as well and he concluded that either the wifi card or the logic board needs to be replaced. We know the wifi card replacement didn't work :p

10. appleoranges thread starter macrumors newbie

11. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Mine can take as long as 30 seconds to reconnect to the network once I open the lid, but it never requires me turning off wifi or the machine to connect.

12. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I'm sure if I waited the full 30 seconds itll connect just I find it faster to just turn it off and back on. But that's me.

----------

That's not normal. This might seem extreme but I think you have to reload the OS. Have you tried that yet?

13. appleoranges thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE 7/24/2014: went back to the apple genius and he said that it's definitely the logic board that needs to be replaced. He was also confused why the apple repair center didn't thoroughly check it. He also reinstalled mavericks just in case that my OS was corrupt before sending it off. The problem appeared again On the fresh mavericks and off to the apple repair center again, looks like I'm macbook less for another 4 days. Also if this is related to the logic board, when I wake up my macbook from sleep, I have a blank black screen so pretty much the screen is not turned on but the apple light in the back appeared. Only solution was to force shut down and reboot.

14. pragmatous macrumors 65816

That's really odd. It seriously doesn't make any sense. The only thing left is the antenna that is inside the display. Perhaps the wiring is burnt out or something weird.

I predict you'll get a new one. lol

15. appleoranges thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope I get a new one, pretty much went on a week without my macbook and apple even couldn't even fix the issue on the third visit

16. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Ya I'd start getting aggressive and annoyed to be honest. Hopefully things work out for you.

17. appleoranges thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got off a call with apple support and supposedly their still working on my macbook and looks like the repair is gonna be longer compared to 2 hours like last time. The apple genius said that I'll get it back on Tuesday but according to apple support, sounds like I'm not getting it back tomorrow. :confused:

18. pragmatous macrumors 65816

That stinks. Did you ask about getting a new one?

19. appleoranges thread starter macrumors newbie

no but I'm getting it tomorrow and they said that they've replaced the logic board + assembly parts, gotta wait till tomorrow and see the final verdict.

20. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Ok. I'm curious if it gets fixed. Let me know.

21. appleoranges, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

UPDATE 7/30/2014: got my macbook back from the apple store, with the logic board and display assembly replaced. When I received the macbook back from the apple genius, opened it up and the problem still persisted! Had another apple genius to diagnosed my problem and she told me that they'll send it in for repair.

BUT she said you've been here five times and she doesn't want to waste my time so she just opened up a new macbook hand it to me! This is a new mid 2014 macbook with a + 0.2 ghz spec bump! Overall happy with apple! And I'm still curious why the problem still persisted with the hardware replacement AND a fresh operating system.

22. psik macrumors 6502

Same here I'd be glad to know as well. Please do update us. Thanks.