Macbook Pro 2014 connect to Imac Late 2009

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by popaine, Dec 11, 2014.

1. popaine macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've just bought a Macbook pro and I'm trying to connect it with my old Imac 2009. I've purchased a thunderbolt cable and connected one side via thunderbolt port on the MBP and the other side in the mini display port of the Imac.

Unfortunately when I press CMD+F2 on the imac to use it only as a display screen, nothing happens. Please can you help me sort this issue.

Thanks.

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

If you are trying to target the old iMac so you can get data off it you are unfortunately out of luck. That iMac only has a display port which is not the same as Thunderbolt. You'll have to use ethernet if you want to do a file & transfer. Or you can put your files on an external hd and transfer them that way.

3. popaine thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

What i need is to use the imac as an external (bigger) display of my macbook pro. In a few words, instead of buying an external 27 inch monitor and connect it with my mbp I want to use my imac.

4. popaine thread starter macrumors newbie

both Imac and mbp have the same os 10.9.5 but when i press cmd+f2 nothing happens. I think the best thing is to buy a new monitor (4K) and connect it via HDMI and having a 4k output.