Macbook Pro (2014) Geforce GT750M Overheating with external screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Floroz, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Floroz macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have recently bought a (mid-2014) Macbook Pro Retina 15" Intel i7 2.5ghz, 16gb RAM, 512 SSD, Dual graphic with Intel Iris Pro and Geforce GT750M.

I have been running every kind of diagnostic and tried everything software-wise to resolve the overheating issue that I have experienced since day one.

I have tried the followings:

1. Mac diagnostic on start-up (NO ERROR)
    2. update to OS Mojave;
    3. SMC Reset twice;
    4. NVRAM reset;
    5. test run on different users;
    6. cross-checking sensors with iStats and Mac Fans Control;
    7. setting up manual fans velocity profiles on iStats for temp above 70-80.
    I thought I had bought a defective machine, although I did not encounter any error and I noticed the over-heating only because the upper part of the keyboard was scorching at touch, so I book an appointment for Repair at Apple Store.

However, when I unplugged my Macbook from my external monitor, I realised that everything went back to normal.

To summarise:

with external monitor plugged:
    • CPU average temps (all in Celsius) are between 65-78 in idle and 75-90 with Chrome Tabs, Spotify and Youtube.
    without any external monitor connected to the Mac:
    • CPU average temps are between 40-45 in idle, and 45-55 with Chrome Tabs, Spotify and Youtube.

Conclusion:

Does the extra work that the Geforce has to do to sustain an external monitor justify this insane increase in temps?
    If I reach 90 degree so easily what will happen when I have to run stressful application?

I have been advised to buy a cooling pad but I don't think that could mitigate the issue to allow me to utilise the Macbook with an external display without incurring in this issue.

Do you think that changing the thermal paste on the GPU could substantially reduce the temps?

2. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502a

1. yes, second screen will add extra stress to CPU/GPU
    2. in my my old gaming laptop Aorus X5, I have few degrees less with cooling pad, but I'm not sure to usability with MacBook
    3. replacing the thermal paste can decrease few degrees temp.

3. Floroz thread starter macrumors newbie

I have stressed the CPU just above 30%, in single screen, and still the temps have gone up above 80 celsius.

Is this normal? may be the dust clogging up the machine or there could be an hardware issue?

https://ibb.co/he4jDA
    https://ibb.co/h1aPDA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Floroz thread starter macrumors newbie

See the screenshots below.

Attached Files:

5. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

Might be worth taking off the bottom cover and blowing dust out with compressed air.