Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2015
Does anyone else with get a static vibration on the macbook body next to the touchpad when it is charging? It feels like a short circuit within the macbook body. It may also affect the sound quality while charging.

Any thoughts?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Are you using the grounded (3 pronged) extension?

The chassis acts as a ground when using the duckhead.

Big Ron

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
United Kingdom
Mine is the same, when I first felt it it was quite alarming. If you use the charger directly connected to the mains it will vibrate like hell when charging. If you remove the original charger duck head and put on the extension lead you will feel no vibration when charging. As snaky69 points out it is connected to earthing problems. You are feeling 'mains hum' at 50 or 60Hz depending on what country your in. In the UK its at 50hz.

There is nothing to worry about.

Brada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2015
Does anyone else with get a static vibration on the macbook body next to the touchpad when it is charging? It feels like a short circuit within the macbook body. It may also affect the sound quality while charging.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help guys. I will give it a try with the cable to see if it persists.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.