Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Javieremdz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2018
Hi. I want to buy a MacBook and I am not sure which one should I get. Which one of these two options is better? I want it for a long term.

• MacBook pro 2015 15” 16 gb ram
• Macbook pro 2018 13” 8 gb ram

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
I love my 2015 13" MBP that I got because it has all the ports, long battery life, great keyboard, and so on. 15" is heavy, so be prepared to carry some heft with you. The 13 inch is definitely more portable, and I think you would enjoy it more if you don't need to game or do anything that requires heavy graphics on.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
I have a 2015 13" MacBook Pro and yes I know you are looking at a 2015 15" MacBook Pro, however, I also have a 2018 13" MacBook Pro w/ TB.

-The 2018 has 32GB RAM (which I do not even really need) and an Intel Core i9 which is clocked at 2.9GHz with Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz (which I really do not need) and a TouchBar (which I really do not need or like but I do like TouchID on Mac) as well as a Radeon Pro 560X GPU but I figured I might as well future proof the hell out of the machine for how much I payed for it.

-The 2015 has an Intel Core i7 clocked at 3.1 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.4 GHz, along with 16GB RAM. Also, since my 2015 has all different types of ports, I do not have to buy any dongles!

Honestly, I bought the 2018 MBP just because I like to have the latest and greatest.

I use my 2015 MBP more than my 2018 MBP because it is lighter to carry around all day (any little bit helps when you are only 33 years old and already had two lower back operations!) and for what I do on my MBP's, some coding, light photo editing, light video editing. Then the obvious things like browsing, listening to and watching music videos in iTunes, watching movies in iTunes, YouTube, etc...

If it weren't for my obsession of having the latest and greatest, I would still just have this MBP I am typing on (2015) and my Late-2010 MacBook Air. The 2015 MBP is a great machine that can handle everything I throw at it, though as I said earlier I am not throwing super hardcore tasks at it. If I do end up doing something the 2015 MBP cannot handle, well then it is time to break out the 2018.

Anyway, the 2015 is an AMAZING machine especially because it has all the different ports AND MagSafe, however, as great as it is I cannot recommend you buying a three and a half year old machine when clearly your budget allows for you to buy a 2018 MacBook Pro. Go with the 2018, but if your budget allows try to bump that RAM up to at least 16GB. 8GB will be fine for now, but you have to think of the future when it comes to your specs, example...my 2018 MBP. As I pointed out, I do not need 32GB RAM right now, nor do I need the power of the i9 right now.

Sorry for long post!

TLDR: Go with the 2018 MBP just to future proof yourself a bit, even though the 2015 MBP is still an amazing machine!

:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.