Macbook pro 2015 battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VuNguyen, Oct 7, 2018.

1. VuNguyen macrumors newbie

VuNguyen

Hi,
    I am plan to get an used 2015 macbook pro 13 inch ( 2.9ghz, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd)
    The only concern I am having right now is about its battery.
    The battery showed 2.8 years in use with 278 cycle, 82% battery capacity. With turbo boost on, it got about 4 to 5 hours web browsing with some heavy download and 6-8 hours with turbo boost off. On heavỉer task like photoshop, it got around 3 hours of battery life.
    Is it good enough, or it is better to swap for another, or maybe an used 2017 version ? Thanks

2. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

i'm on 302 right now on the same model, battery lasts pretty good i get about 9-5 battery no problem, these battery lasts up to 800+ charges last time i check, if its a really good price u should go for it.

3. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Something's off - only 82% battery capacity at 278 cycles?

One million billion zillion times this.

4. VuNguyen thread starter macrumors newbie

VuNguyen

The 2017 is base model and I also worry about the keyboard.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2018 ---
    Yea. It is at good price, but only 82% health at 278 cycle concern me. I dont want to replace the battery so soon after bought. What’s your battery health?

5. Webster's Mac macrumors regular

I have an early 2013 rMBP with well over 500 charge cycles on the battery. Battery health fluctuates between 92% and 94% health. Do you use your machine plugged in most of the time? These batteries need to be "exercised". Using it off the charger 2-3 times a month will keep it in shape. You don't have to run it to empty or anything. Use it dow to 20-30% and charge it back up.

6. VuNguyen thread starter macrumors newbie

VuNguyen

Nah. It not my machine. It an used one that i am considering to buy. That’s why i am concern about it battery health, eventhough the battery time seems okay

7. Webster's Mac macrumors regular

Yea that's concerning that the battery health is that low. Though I have seen where a macbook that I got came with a battery reporting health that seemed too low for the amount of cycles, then the health went up as I used it. I assume that the battery was left plugged in most of the time or allowed to discharge and stayed discharged, and suing it "exercised" it and brought it back up to spec.

8. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

honestly if its just the battery i wouldn't sweat it, its one of the easier parts you can swap out yourself.

9. Webster's Mac macrumors regular

I wouldn't call that easy. It was easy on pre-retina macbooks. But it is much harder now that the batteries are glued in.

10. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

oh it is? never mind lol.

i mean there is always ifxit, but last time i checked you can go to apple and they charge u like 90 bucks for a battery swap

11. Webster's Mac macrumors regular

The iFixit guide shows how much of a hassle it is. And I think they overcomplicate it some. There are better ways to remove those batteries without using chemicals that dissolve adhesive and can damage other parts of the macbook (namely the display).

Apple charges $199 on the retina macbook pros because they replace the entire topcase rather than try to break the adheasive and pry the battery out. $99 is for the older Macbook Pros with non glued-in batteries.

12. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

yikes, ok nvm the battery is worth looking into thn.