MacBook Pro 2015 loud fan

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by waxmachine, Feb 24, 2016.

1. waxmachine macrumors newbie

Hi!

I have a new MacBook Pro 2015 and I'm wondering about its fan and temperature. It seems the device is heating up really quickly and then the fan reaches high speed. Above 3000 rpm it gets hearable but it oftentimes gets much faster up to 4000 or even 5000 rpm. The latter is unbearably loud! I should mention that the CPU temperature rises to 80°C, and sometimes even 90°C. I installed Mac Fan Control to monitor the speed and temperature.

I was always under the impression that MacBooks are silent devices, but this one is just louder than every other Laptop I've ever had. Even louder than my 4 years old Dell Latitude.

I do software development and photo editing. I understand that compiling a program causes high CPU usage, but I've been doing this for years on my other machines and I compiled the same programs there. They never got that hot and loud. Also, I know that photo editing is a CPU intensive task, but I can barely edit a single photo in Lightroom before the fan reaches 4500rpm or maybe more. Sometimes this happens within one minute. Yesterday I was just browsing 9to5mac.com and the fan reached 3500rpm. Maybe 9to5mac.com has too many images on the page and Chrome was too busy loading them? I took a look at the Activity monitor and Chrome was using about 50% CPU. I suppose this is just 50% of one CPU core (out of four).

Now here's my question: Has anybody else experienced the same? Is this normal behaviour of the MacBook Pro?

I have checked the Activity Monitor and there is no other background task draining the CPU or so. I have a 2.8 GHz with the AMD graphics card by the way.

Cheers,
    Michel

2. chscag macrumors 68000

No it is not normal behavior for a new 2015 MacBook Pro. Make an appointment with your local Apple Store genius bar and have them run diagnostics on your machine. Your machine should still be covered by Apple Care, so don't let it go any longer. Have it checked out.

3. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

I agree it's definitely not normal. I'm on a 2014 rMBP and can rarely recall even hearing the fan whilst in operation. As a trial, I currently have Garage Band and iMovie running, and also logged onto Firefox, and highest recorded temp is the GPU diode at 59deg, CPU heatsink at 46deg and fans at 1995 & 2160rpm, for an indoor temp of 24deg.
    Time to get yours checked over. Pls let us know what they find.

4. waxmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answers. I will definitely contact the Apple support. It's not my personal machine, it's from my company, so I have to go the "official way". Might take a bit longer. I'll let you know what they find.

Cheers,
    Michel

5. waxmachine, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016

waxmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

Just for the record.

System usage (about 10.1%), CPU temperature (86°C) and fan speed (3412rpm) after 30 minutes of watching HD video in Chrome. I know Chrome is not the most power-saving browser, but 10.1% system usage should not make it that hot.

One minute later after constantly scrolling up and down in the browser while the video was playing: temperature = 95°C, fan = 5992rpm, system usage = 30.2%

Thanks again,
    Michel

6. waxmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi!

Just wanted to let you know that they sent me a completely new device last week. After one week of testing I can tell that it doesn't make much of a difference. It seems to me the new device cools down a little bit faster, but that could just be my imagination. Whenever I use my external USB audio device and browse the web at the same time the fans spin up quickly and become really audible.

Anyhow, I think I can live with it. It seems to be by design and I might be a little bit too picky. Thanks for your help though.

Cheers,
    Michel

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Does your company require you to use Chrome for your browser?
    If not, try using your system for a few hours WITHOUT launching Chrome.