Macbook Pro 2015 Storage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jhernanphotos, Aug 27, 2015.

1. jhernanphotos macrumors newbie

Hi friends!

A couple of months ago I bought a Pro 2015 edition. I had posted about whether or not the option to upgrade internal storage was available yet, but was told that it would be a few months before those parts would become available. Has anyone with a 2015 Pro updated their storage? How was the process? I've done it before on an older Pro (2010 model) and everything went smoothly.

Thanks!

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Interesting, I do not see any other posts by your user name discussing storage upgrades. Which doesn't surprise me since you just joined MacRumors today.

I wanted to look and see the conversation since there is no storage upgrade solutions other than an SSD removed from another Mac. There are no 3rd party vendors supporting the exclusive PCIe connectors. Where can I view this prior thread?

3. jhernanphotos, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2015

jhernanphotos thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey! Thanks for replying. I actually created a new account cause I lost all my login info!

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Unfortunately there isn't an option and hasn't been since 2013?

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You may be able to find a used SSD pulled out of another rMBP, but no 3rd party options exist yet.

iFixit has guides. The process doesn't look difficult.

Non-retina MacBook Pros used a different style of SSD. They were probably more difficult to upgrade aside for the special tools you need on the retina models.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Whoever told you a few months was full of it.

The proprietary PCIe SSD apple uses have been around since 2013. We're nearing the end of 2015 and no third party has developed anything. If you want to upgrade, you'll have to find a used SSD pulled from another machine. There are some on eBay, but they're extremely expensive.

It think the chances of an upgrade ever being available is slim to none. Consider yourself stuck with what you bought.