Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imke101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Hi y'all,

I just upgraded my 2015 15" Macbook Pro with an Adata XPG SX8200 Pro (1TB) and used an adapter similar to the oft recommended Sintech Adapter (the one I bought was cheaper).

All fits and all works, but I am only getting speeds of 1600 write and 1450 read (as with the original Apple drive), shouldn't this SSD be twice as fast in a 2015 Macbook Pro? Will the adapter influence the speed?

If anybody has had similar experiences with this SSD and/or any solutions, would love to hear them!

Many thanks

ashkapur

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
Hi y'all,

I just upgraded my 2015 15" Macbook Pro with an Adata XPG SX8200 Pro (1TB) and used an adapter similar to the oft recommended Sintech Adapter (the one I bought was cheaper).

All fits and all works, but I am only getting speeds of 1600 write and 1450 read (as with the original Apple drive), shouldn't this SSD be twice as fast in a 2015 Macbook Pro? Will the adapter influence the speed?

If anybody has had similar experiences with this SSD and/or any solutions, would love to hear them!

Many thanks
Have you update your bootrom version to the latest?

imke101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Hi, and thank you for your answer!

I have a Macbook Pro 11,5, I am running Catalina 10.15.7. and my bootrom is 199.0.0.0.0. Should be current.
Is there an update available that I am unaware of?

Thx!

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
check your link speed for PCIe 3.0 x 4 lane, should similar like this below.

link speed.png

imke101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Hi Vince,

Thanks for that, yes, my Macbook has those specifications, PCIe 3.0.

I did a bit of research on this, it seems that Adata quietly changed their controller from Samsung SM2262EN to the (slower, I read) SM2262G.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/jiwyut
The drive I bought was indeed a revised version, so I returned it. Not sure if the controller was the culprit, but since my proprietary Apple drive has the same exact speed specs, I thought I'd save the money. :)

Thanks again for the input, appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.