Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaykarrels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2020
Long story short my MacBook charger broke so I took it apart and tried to resplice the wires. Plugged it into the MacBook and now the MacBook won’t charge. Guessing I accidentally swapped the wires and blew a port or something. Still turns on (although it has ran out of battery now) connections look good on the charging port.

Tried different working charger and no light comes on/won’t charge but that cord charges other MacBooks so it’s definitely not the cord. Tried the battery reset didn’t work although it was dead by then.

I am very good at changing parts on iPhones but never on a MacBook. Anyone have any idea what to try swapping? I’m guessing the charging port? Any other guesses so I can order some parts and get to work.

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
I think you most likely blew some controller chip on the logic board. Sorry man, expensive lesson to learn.

You could send it in to Rossman repair group or some board level repair shop like that, but still probably an expensive fix.

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Maybe you messed up the Magsafe I/O board? You can try replacing it yourself as the Magsafe port is a small separate board.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBoo...ly+2015+MagSafe+DC-In+Board+Replacement/38516
You didn't say whether your MBP was the 15" or 13". That is for the 13" model, just search for the 15" one if that is what you have.
You can search for the part number you need and buy it from wherever you want. If I don't mind waiting then I order from Aliexpress as it is cheaper, but if you need it quickly then search for something locally.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
So much for "do it yourself" repairs.

Take the MacBook to a brick-n-mortar Apple Store and get it checked or repaired -- or replaced.

And for gosh sakes ... buy ANOTHER charger.

Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.