Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
So I have exactly this:

Stage-Lights.jpg

Apparently called the stage light effect and like most it has occurred conveniently a few months after my warranty expired.

Google tells me the fault is likely the "LVDS" (‘graphic cable’) being faulty or poorly connected. Less likely is an actual LCD issue. However, Apple apparently generally tells you to cough up for an entirely new LCD despite the fix often being as simple as replacing the cable or reconnecting it properly.

Any ideas on what is the best course of action?

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
When was this bought? And where? In EU, you should have at least 2 years warranty (1 year Apple factory and 2 years from retailer, which includes the online Apple Store).

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
So I have exactly this:

Stage-Lights.jpg

Apparently called the stage light effect and like most it has occurred conveniently a few months after my warranty expired.

Google tells me the fault is likely the "LVDS" (‘graphic cable’) being faulty or poorly connected. Less likely is an actual LCD issue. However, Apple apparently generally tells you to cough up for an entirely new LCD despite the fix often being as simple as replacing the cable or reconnecting it properly.

Any ideas on what is the best course of action?
You sure thats a 2016 mac book pro?

digital99

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2018
Registered just to reply to this post.

I had the exact same issue on the same model 2016 Macbook Pro. A lot of other people are having this problem too, same model and everything! It's a design flaw that Apple won't admit and want customers to pay for their mistakes instead.

It was display cable issue. I went to two Apple Authorized Service Providers and they all said the entire display assembly would need to be replaced at the cost of $600. The tech even acknowledged that it's a cable issue but said due to their contract with Apple they are NOT allowed to do anything other than replacing parts. He suggested me to try elsewhere first.

I went to an unauthorized repair shop, explained it to them and got it repaired within 2 days for only $50! You should do the same. Some repair shops may still lie to you and want you to replace the entire display because they make more money that way (they know the LCD is still working fine) but don't give in. Keep looking for the right shop until they agree to do it the right way. Most of all, don't give Apple $600.

Good luck!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Just got this on mine :( 2016 nTB

luckily its still under warranty but bummer, my panel was beautiful until then

Apple products sadly aren't really built to last much anymore

Attachments

• IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 654
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.