MacBook Pro 2016 Battery Life Problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by manny88, Nov 13, 2016.

1. manny88 macrumors member

Ok so I've charged this up to 100%. And put the brightness on half (8 clicks/50%). Battery estimates 5h40 at 90%, and all I'm doing is light web surfing.

Kind of disappointed with the battery life and having to use this brightness. Makes me think of backing up my mac, returning it, buying the 2015 model, and restoring the backup.

Then again, I love everything else about it. So I'm going to have to weigh up the options.

The thing I'm most worried about, is if the battery is like this now. I can't imagine the battery life after months or years of use when the battery starts degrading.

Previously tested, I get around 3 hours of battery on a brightness I find acceptable (12 clicks / 75%). I'm not really happy about this.

Anyone feeling like the battery life is bad?

According to the Apple website they are using 12 clicks of brightness (75%) and getting 10 hours of battery life:

I should note I've got the upgraded CPU, 16GB RAM, and 512 SSD. But I didn't think the battery life would change so dramatically, as the CPU TDP is 15W like the base model. Only the ram could be effecting it as it's double, but I never thought it would cause a dramatic difference.

2. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

Time estimates have always not been accurate by Apple. Download a third party battery app, which should give you a more accurate representation. Also, yes, that's one thing I hate about these new laptops (Not just Apple). No removable batteries. That means after a year or two, depending on your usage, you'll notice the battery life fall drastically, to where you have to then shell out $200-400 for a new battery (AKA replace the entire internals of the MacBook - not so environmentally friendly, eh?)

3. iizmoo macrumors 6502

Light web browsing is a relative term, are there any runaway javascripts? Flash? videos, audios running? Estimates also fluctuate the first few cycles, wait until at leas 3 or 4 full cycle and then check your usage.

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

How long have you had it? It's not doing spotlight or iPhoto indexing?

I assume you've been monitoring Activity Monitor? Nothing is using excessive battery?

5. cmaier macrumors G3

I've never had that happen in any of my MacBook air's or pro's with non-removable batteries - never had one die in less than two years, nor even seen a "drastic" battery life fall. I've had to replace REMOVABLE batteries in my older MBP's twice. So it's not a foregone conclusion.

Also, you do NOT need to "replace the entire internals of the MacBook" to replace the battery. Replacing the battery requires only replacing the battery.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2016 ---
    Also, using safari or chrome?

6. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

1. Just because you don't experience that, doesn't make it the norm. I know plenty of users who have reported 70-80% battery health after heavy usage for 1-2 years. And yes, you need to replace the entire bottom part of the laptop, because the battery is glued.

7. cmaier macrumors G3

My point was that just because you experience it doesn't make it the norm. And no, you don't need to replace the entire bottom part of the laptop - they remove the glue. I've seen them do it at the Apple store, in iFixit videos, and numerous other videos on the web:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2014+Battery+Replacement/27832
    etc.

8. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

Apple won't follow what iFixIt does. It's what the Apple reps told me when they replaced the batteries for my and my brother's Retina Pro. It's why they order the parts for he bottoms of the computer.

If they don't, then it's a crime they charge $300-400

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

10. SVTM macrumors member

SVTM

This information isn't even close to accurate. My current MBP has 1991 load cycles and is still at 88% capacity after four years of use.

11. cmaier macrumors G3

They quote $200 to replace the MacBook battery. Where are you getting your price information?

12. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

Go to an actual Apple store and ask for a quote. I got quoted 400 for my 2012 Retina MBP.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 13, 2016 ---
    Usage case? My friend used his 10-12 hours a day, and had 76 after two years

13. cmaier macrumors G3

You were quoted the depot flat rate depot repair fee of $310 because machine is so old, sounds like. That's different. Right now the official price of replacing, say, battery in recent 12" MacBook is $199.

14. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

The structures of the retina Pro's were all similar. I'm guessing the MacBook's is cheaper because either the parts are cheaper, or the structure allows for it to be cheaper

15. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

Do you know how far back they go? Like, in how many years they are likely to stop replacing batteries on the current new models?

16. cmaier macrumors G3

Just has to be out of warrantee and no apple care. Cost is $310 to fix everything in the machine, so long as no accident damage. Let goes up for accidental damage.

17. newdeal macrumors 68020

my macbook air has 482 cycles and is at 84% capacity

18. iizmoo macrumors 6502

Are you in the EU and translating prices to USD ?

https://support.apple.com/mac-notebooks/repair/service/pricing

Nothing should cost more than $199

19. monkeydax macrumors 6502

That is definitely not what they do at any Apple Authorised Service Provider or Apple. The batteries are glued on and not meant to be officially removed and replaced. At Apple, they change the entire top case (including the keyboard and trackpad, and aluminium case). Done this twice now as my trackpad had been damaged, and since the batteries are stuck on, they have to replace the entire thing.

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have 25 cycles on my late 2011 MBP 13" with 97.7% capacity. :)

21. montanaco macrumors 6502

montanaco

82% with heavy usage on my 2011 MacBook Pro, and my friend is at 94% with a 2013 rMBP--so idk, all my friends have had great battery experiences with their MacBooks.

22. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

"But guys, if they put a GTX 1060 in there it would only get 6 hours of battery life like the Razer Blade"... Oh, wait...

23. Gixene macrumors regular

Gixene

Not to derail the thread. How do you find the capacity of the battery? I see here I have 875 cycles, yet no information on capacity.

24. monkeydax macrumors 6502

Gotta use something like Coconut Battery. Google and download it!

25. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy