Macbook Pro 2016 - GPU? AMD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by codefinder, Oct 21, 2016.

1. codefinder macrumors newbie

codefinder

Hi all,

I havn't seen any threads on this, so like to start a discussion on everyone feels about the AMD GPU that will probably end up in the Macbook Pro. I have been waiting to upgrade to the new MBP, especially coming from a 2013 MBA. But with the release of the new 10 series video cards from Nvidia, I'm kinda torn on buying the Pro or getting a window laptop (which will die prob after 2 years, lol)

I've recently started 4k video editing using Adobe, mainly on my desktop PC. Since I haven't owned a MBP, what's the performance like on the current MBP with dedicated GPU.

Appreciate all feedback.

Cheers

2. DblHelix macrumors 6502

Considering I could edit 4K on my 2011 with dedicated gpu I think you will be fine

3. jerryk macrumors 68030

If you google around there are several benchmark tests. Also on YouTube, Hardware Cunuks(sp?) had a test of a times doing various Premier Pro operations on a rMBP versus desktop PCs.

4. meme1255 macrumors 6502

Uh, why exactly so many people want nVidia's GPUs? AMD Polaris 11 architecture is more power efficient than any available nVidia mobile GPU...

5. cullenl87 macrumors member

6. keviig macrumors 6502

Do you have a source for that? Pascal is significantly more power efficient than Polaris when it comes to desktop GPU's, why would mobile GPU's be any different?

7. gooseta macrumors member

gooseta

It will be a 480m, not great, but decent enough