MacBook Pro 2016 Graphic issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Calby, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

Hi,
    I'm starting to think that I have some graphic issues (GPU) on my MacBook Pro 2016 I'm running 10.12.3.
    This thinks that I have filmed only happens sometimes - not on every boot but sometimes.

What do you think is it graphic issues?

In this video we can se how the Apple logo are Puzzel together, first the bottom then the top of the logo - it's not as it use to bee.

In this video we can se that the progressbar are flashing ones during load.

So is this due to some kind of GPU issue? I'm worried because I have had so much issue with the 2016 model.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

All looks absolutely fine to me.

3. Calby thread starter macrumors 6502

Calby

Ok, so that the progressbar are flashing one time during load is normal?
    My bar don't flash all the time but sometime.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Mine does odd things occasionally but as long as the computer runs fine what does it matter? it's a start up bar I don't see the point of it at all in this day and age but it's there, it's been there forever and it probably hasn't been recoded for new hardware in years.

5. leman macrumors G3

There is a lot of stuff happening during load process: drivers are loaded, the system is tested, states are switched etc etc. It can very much be that you'll experience some screen flickering/weird graphics output during all this. The question is whether you are actually experiencing any issues during normal operation. If no, there is nothing to worry about.

P.S. I am sure that one can avoid flickering on startup (its most likely because of some carelessness in the driver etc. code), but its certainly not harmful.

6. Calby thread starter macrumors 6502

Calby

I don't understand this, do you mean it's harmful to have this "blink" on the progress bar?

7. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Not harmful.

8. andy9l macrumors 68000

Your Mac is fine. Think no more of it.

A smooth startup process/animation has been troubling Apple developers as far back as I can remember. Screen flashes, bar flashes, graphical artefacts, weird colours, resolution switching - we've seen it all in the past 12 years.

Who shuts down a Mac now anyway? ;)

9. leman macrumors G3

No, I meant thats its not harmful. Think about it as a startup process of your car engine. Its certainly not uncommon to have some "weird" sounds there simply because its not the normal operating process.

10. Calby thread starter macrumors 6502

Calby

Well, that's true.

I did also notice, just once, that I did get some graphic artifacts during a shut down.
    The artifacts was on the login screen and was over sleep, restart, shutdown button.

I did never login to macOS, I did shut the computer down when it was on the login screen.

But I guess that's normal also?
    I have not notice any issue when I have been using the mbp.

And I got warranty and AppleCare so I guess that I'm safe either way.

11. jerryk macrumors 68040

During shutdown, the graphic subsystems of the Mac (and virtual any other computer) is shutdown before the machine actually powers off. So you can expect to see flashes of text or strange characters from graphics buffers. The same thing happens in reverse on startup.

MacOS and Windows have this fairly well controlled, but still occasional strange items do appear. On some of our Linux systems you get screens of text intermixed with graphics until things settle down.

12. Calby thread starter macrumors 6502

Calby

Ok I understand so it's nothing to worry about then?
    It just happend one time.

13. jerryk macrumors 68040

Likely safe to ignore. At startup and shutdown you have all sorts of processes being created and terminated things can get a bit mixed. But as long as the unit come up and works fine, I would not worry about it.