Macbook Pro 2016 Keyboard Consistency?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vincentlin099, Jan 1, 2017.

1. vincentlin099 macrumors newbie

Hi, So I was at the apple store today trying out the new macbooks while my order is processing cause I am so excited. I noticed that some of the keys were inconsistent with the others. For example, the return key might feel a little squishier then the rest of the keyboard of the space bar might feel squishy compared to everything else. This "problem" was spread across the all the new 2016 models that I tried typing on. I was wondering if this was because someone just came and smashed the keyboard? Or is anyone experiencing this? If this was caused by a customer such as I, I might be disappointed at the durability of the keyboard. Let me know what you guys think.

2. mds1256 macrumors regular

All my keys feel the same to be honest, however..... some of them do need pressing with a bit more force to work, the worst ones are the up and down arrows as well as the caps lock button. All the others do seem to work correctly though.

I did visit two different apple stores to check out their display models and they all have this same issue with the same 3 keys.... I do like this new keyboard as I can type quicker but when using the down arrow (which I do use quite a lot) it does at times not recognise my press and I need to press harder for it to work consistently.

They keyboard is also louder than my last 2013 MacBook Pro which can get annoying if people are watching the TV and I am typing.

3. Mixolyd macrumors member

Mixolyd

Just got the 13'' nTB. My keys feel fine but the 0 key has issues. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. If I press it really fast for instance, it doesn't actuate. Other keys seem fine though. Going to get a replacement tomorrow.

4. cityboy-100 macrumors member

First one mushy return key, second one no problems, third one clicky G key. I'm not impressed.

5. R1crd macrumors newbie

R1crd

I've had the new MBPTB 15" for a week or so now. To be honest I'm so desperate of this keyboard I can't get used to it. I'm sure it needs more time but so far it's really the only thing I hate about it. I keep miss clicking or leaving out letters, which mainly due the inconsistency and just bad feel about the keys.

One thing I notice is that all keys feel different based on the angle you click on them. If you click right in the middle of the key at 90 degrees it's consistent across all the keys, but if you click on an angle it sometimes get's stuck and needs a bit more force to register the click. Also I have the same issue with down arrow where you need to use a bit more force.

Is this something I should get replaced? I thought it's the same with all machines, I'll have to go to the store to check few of them one more times, since so far I'm pretty bad at typing on this one. Hopefully it'll get better overtime.