MacBook Pro 2016 Keybord N broken and more

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DennisdeWit, Jan 23, 2017.

1. DennisdeWit macrumors regular

DennisdeWit

Hello,

I have my standard 13" MBP with Touch Bar since November. It all worked fine but now my N-key is acting weird. Sometimes it is not registering the key at all, sometimes it types the key double. It is very strange because it seems to be dependent on where I press the key. The bottom left corner is a spot that is really hit-and-miss. Has anyone else had this issue with such a key? I know there are plenty of topics about the arrows, but just a random key?

Also, my second USB-port at the left side is not clicking to and USB-cable. They cable keeps hanging halfway through. Is that normal?

Thanks,
    Dennis

2. ManuCH macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear that. On mine it was the opposite: I had a key that was registering double, or not at all, during the first week. It then fixed itself.

As you're now beyond the return period (I guess), I'd watch it for another week. If it doesn't fix itself, you'll have to bring it in for repair, unfortunately.

As war as the USB-port is concerned: did any dust get in it? Try blowing it out with some canned air. Also, have you tried other cables?

3. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

If they are actual defects, then the standard 1-year warranty should apply for repair. The 14-day return period only applies to returning for a full refund.
    Definitely take it in to an Apple Store and have it evaluated!

4. fs454 macrumors 65816

Had a bad N key as well on my 15" touch bar. They swapped the whole system because it was within return period - but they were asking me to send it off to be repaired. Best of luck.

5. Morten_Hjort macrumors newbie

Morten_Hjort

Same for me with the D and O. Also need to bring it for repair :L

6. DennisdeWit, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017

DennisdeWit thread starter macrumors regular

DennisdeWit

My MacBook Pro is stuck in the repair process. The APR can't replace the topcase, because they don't have them in stock. They ordered them by Apple, but Apple says: "Not in stock, go wait a month."

When I called Apple to explain them this is nonsense and I expected better for such an expensive machine, the guy hang up on me.

7. Morten_Hjort macrumors newbie

Morten_Hjort

Yeah was just told it could take 6-8 weeks to get a fix! An now my screen is also having issues, so that part needs to repaired too. Quite disappointed

8. robvas macrumors 68020

Use a guitar pick to pop the key off from the top of the keyboard (closest to the screen). Make sure nothing is under there and put it back on to see if that helps.

9. ManuCH macrumors 6502

So basically the problem is the reseller, not Apple. A serious reseller would have ordered the part, then gave you your MacBook Pro back to use it until the part arrives. You can use it in the meantime, after all (it's not completely broken).

Can't you ask to have it back in the meantime?

10. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Ha, if they really cared they'd make a new top case for you on the spot out of rocks and sticks.

11. DennisdeWit thread starter macrumors regular

DennisdeWit

And so we have light at the end of the tunnel, something I honestly did not expect. The component is not available until next month. So, Apple has decided to replace my MacBook with a new one. Maybe they are not so 'incapable and rude' as I mentioned earlier. :))