MacBook Pro 2016 lawnmower mode?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by riinkk, Jul 18, 2017.

1. riinkk macrumors newbie

riinkk

2. Patcell macrumors 6502

I assume the machine is on when making that noise? It doesn't appear to be plugged into anything...

Maybe there is something caught in one of the fans? Definitely time for a trip to the Genius Bar.

3. lambertjohn, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017

lambertjohn macrumors 6502

yeah, I'm sure if you bring it into an Apple Store, they'll give it a nice tune-up for you. They've got a lot of practice with these new MB Pros!

4. riinkk thread starter macrumors newbie

riinkk

machine is on, yes, tho I unplugged it immediately after this weird sound started. it was sitting there alone on the table, there was no impact of putting it on the table or typing when it happened. restart silenced the sound. we are suspecting the right fan.

5. Patcell macrumors 6502

Yeah, I would think the only thing that could possibly cause a sound like that would be one of the fans. There really aren't any other moving parts in there... let us know how the repair goes; I'm interested to hear what was causing it...

6. riinkk thread starter macrumors newbie

riinkk

So, a week has passed, repair is done and this is what we got as an answer, let me know what you guys think of it:

"We ran many hardware tests on the computer, everything works with the Test User - it does not freeze/restart and there is no sound in speakers or headphones. It seems that some software is to be blamed - maybe Google Drive (it should be reinstalled) or DropBox - both of these go deep into the system."​

I have few questions/comments to this repair feedback:
    1. How do you install Google Drive (a cloud based environment)?
    2. I do not use Dropbox with that machine
    3. There did not have to be any sound in speakers or headphones, that was not the issue

7. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Have you tried asking Apple those questions? They've inspected the machine and would be 100% better at answering than random internet postulation.

1. https://www.google.com/drive/download/ you download the app to sync documents in the cloud, it's not a cloud based service, only cloud storage.

2. Have you used it on a previous one, could it have copied across when you transferred to a new Mac?

3. They are probably trying to ascertain plausible issues, it's making a sound, audio outputs make a sound.

Has this done it since/again? I've seen this before when users have put something like an iPad on top with a magnetic case, the magnet pulls the bearing in the fan against the casing and it makes that noise. Could this be the cause? Could it have been dislodged in your bag? If it hasn't done it since I wouldn't worry. If it does it every single time you use it then by all means take it to Apple and faff around.

8. riinkk thread starter macrumors newbie

riinkk

I have answered into your post in bold text:

--- Post Merged, Jul 24, 2017 ---
    Also, forgot to mention that on the day of lawnmower sounds, there were many occasions where the macbook pro just froze and restarted on its own. Try working like that in the middle of heavy meetings schedule :)

9. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

If it was freezing up and restarting then I would suggest it's the fan. It may have gotten knocked or stuck for a number of reasons. But it's most likely the fan got ever so slightly twisted in its casing, and so was not functioning at 100% leading to the device overheating and automatically shutting down the computer to prevent damage.

Go back to using the machine and if it happens again, ask that the fans are replaced. It's unusual but not impossible. It's more likely that whatever has caused this has sorted itself out and it shouldn't happen again, but if it does it's possible there's a slight nick somewhere in the fan structure that makes it more prone to becoming stuck.

I honestly wouldn't have even tried to work with that during meetings, would have grabbed a pad and paper. Or transferred stuff to colleagues computer. Or put those headphones on!

10. riinkk thread starter macrumors newbie

riinkk

Why do I need to transfer stuff if I do not have anything downloaded, when everything I need is in the cloud? And I did use pen and paper in the following meetings. What I am lacking at the moment is a reliable working machine, I do not want a broken piece of technology making scary sounds in the middle of the office. Yeah, the last Macbook Pro is really not the most successful piece they've made (e.g. see the many reviews on YT). And please have in mind, I have been using Apple products (computers, tablets, watches, phones) personally 10+ years and never had an issue. So, being a faithful customer, I now need them to fix the situation, instead of giving me silly answers.

Anyway, I really feel I am a few steps ahead of you in this process :)
    --- Post Merged, Jul 24, 2017 ---
    what do you think of the repair results (scroll up a bit)?

11. Patcell macrumors 6502

It sounds like they are thinking the sound was coming from the speakers. It sounded more mechanical from the clip you posted. I suppose is could be from the speakers, but my thought was the fan(s) rubbing against something...

Do you have the machine back? Still having the problem?

12. riinkk thread starter macrumors newbie

riinkk

No, I haven't gotten it back, yet. Will update when I do.

13. peraspera macrumors member

peraspera

It sounds suspiciously as if Apple somehow associated a diagnostic report for someone else's computer with yours. Contact Apple and make it very clear, point by point, that the repair report you received bears absolutely no relationship to the software installed on your computer and the issue you experienced.

Even if the problem has been fixed when you get your computer back request a copy of the correct diagnostic report for your MBP and also ask Apple to associate it correctly in their records. An incorrect diagnostic report in your MBP's repair history could prove to be confusing and problematic if you require any further repairs.

14. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Sounds like the speakers oscillating. I've had a PC crash in the past which made similar sounds.