MacBook Pro 2016 - OPINIONS and EXPERIENCES

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IndigoDesign, Nov 6, 2016.

1. IndigoDesign macrumors regular

Hey folks, I was still on the fence about the new MacBook Pro 2016 and what to make of it. I'm sure there are plenty like me who are still undecided. Too expensive? Touchbar a gimick? You know the drill.

Since the Internet is on a witchhunt for the new MacBook Pro 2016 I wanted to created a place where we, the actual fans, pro-users and enthusiasts share our thoughts and experiences in real-world scenarios. Kinda like "user-reviews" if you will.

I watched EVERY review of the machine on youtube to make up my mind and most of them were leaning towards the negative side. Still. I decided I'll go for the 13" without touchbar because most rants are - if you think about it - a non-issue. I will admit upfront though, they are obscenely priced.

My usecase scenario:
    I'm a graphics designer doing mostly brochures, layouts, magazines. I work in creative suite a lot and I'd like to be more mobile. Also I'm starting my own youtube channel soon and of course all cutting and editing should be done on this thing - for now in Full HD only (no 4K). I still have my 2012 Mac mini specced out that serves me still really well. Not getting rid of it.

My critique about Apple in general:
    I'm also in the camp that thinks Apple is dumping their creative professional audience more and more and that's they're somewhat out of innovations. Prices are ridiculous too.

After much thought I ended up going to buy the 13" with 16 Gigs of Ram, 512 GB SSD and the i7 Processor. It will cost me a whopping 2.500,- € including tax. For that money I could get a fully decked XPS 15" and still have some pocketmoney left. Anyways here's my well-educated, thought through and in-depth opinion on the new MacBook Pros:

The hipster-bar, sorry touchbar...
    I despise it. I believe it's a toy with no real "pro use" and should therefore be on the normal MacBook. Why? Because most professionals work on their machines without looking at the keyboard. They type blindly and use keyboard shortcuts. Having to look down onto the touchbar doesn't add any productivity bonus. Also many professionals use their MacBooks in clamshell-mode or in a dock/stand while closed. So there is not even the possibility to use the touchbar at all times. I'm not willing to pay for that gimick and I feel like it's going to be dropped in the next iteration of the MBPs unless they really bring a killer application for it. So far everything I've seen it do is laughable at best and a timewaster at worst.

The ports, 2x USB-C, TB3 and headphone jack on my chosen model
    After giving it lots of thought I think that it's perfectly fine with 2 USB-C ports. People rant about how they will need countless dongles. Well in most cases, especially in mine that's not true. All you need is a multi-port-hub-thing that gives you your USB-As, HDMI or displayport if needed and an SD card slot if needed. NOT a separate cable for everything you want to connect. I plan on getting such a hub for being "on the road" - they are around 40,- € on amazon - and a proper dock (haven't investigated yet) with connection to the wall-socket for my home-office. On that dock I'll have my printers, monitors and everything else and just connect it to my MBP 13" with ONE single, elegant USB-C cable. If I need to move date from SD to my MBP, I'll just keep the SD cards in the camera and transfer it at home. No big deal.

About the headphone jack. Well I wonder why they kept it in honestly, it would have way more sense replacing it with a lightning port for obvious reasons but since I'm using my wireless bose sport inears most of the time, I'll be fine and don't mind the port anyways.

Another thing you should think about: I'm a business. Im buying such products for a propsected timespan of 5 years. In about 1-2 years everything out there will be USB-C. I'll bridge that time with a few adapters, that's not too bad, but then I'll be ready-set for all new peripherals. If I plan to keep my MBP that long it's actually good to have USB-C now as the MBP will live into the time where USB-A is obsolete, yet alone HDMI. Also - in my usecase scenario - I'll probably have one USB-C to USB-A adapter cable with me on the road for USB-sticks. I hardly feed any other media/input into my MBP when onsite with a customer.

Battery size
    Yes it has been shrunken down but also every single component in the MBP is now more energy efficient. Many reviewers already said that Apple's claimed 10 hours are spot on with average use. That's good enough for me. I'm more worried about how long the battery will retain it's full capacity, only time will tell. Because the battery on paper is smaller than the older models means exactly nothing for real world performance.

Processor Performance
    I plan to get the 2.4 GHz i7. In Geekbench it reaches around 8.500 score. My mac mini (and therefore my experienced "benchmark" for how quickly I can do my workflow) scores around 10.700. With a QUADcore 2.6 GHz haswell. That's really impressive scores for a dualcore then but of course scores are only half of the story. The actual performance and feel is dependent on so much more, mostly integration between soft- and hardware. Something Apple has always been good at and the post-jobs-Apple luckily still is (for now). For my tasks, the performance will suffice. I take the 20% performance hit (if even perceiveable in real workloads) for the mobility - and I'm not getting rid of my mini anyways, so...

RAM
    Yep, I wanted 32 GB of Ram and yes I also understand many people have enough with 8. I can imagine, I can do with 16 GB (since I am doing since 2012 in my mini) again since the SSD in the MBPs are RIDICULOUSLY fast anyways. That means the already advanced memory management of macOS will be even faster flushing RAM-overflow on the SSD and pushing data back in. The gap between RAM speed and SSD speed is STILL there of course, but it's nowhere near the 60 MB/s speeds of old spinners in the days of yore.

SSD Speeds
    Which brings me to exactly that. Real world tests and applications of early reviewers have already shown data transfer rates ranging up to 1800 MB/s in write and OVER 3000 MB/s in read speeds. That is insane. And yes Apples SSD upgrade prices are insane as well but still. This ain't the off-the-shelf SSDs you get for 69,- € a pop on amazon. Average consumer SSDs lurk around 300-600 MB/s and the faster wons are around maybe 800/1600 MB/s. This will make your mac feel REALLY snappy and blazingly fast.

SYSTEM Integration/Software experience
    At the bottom I attached a video comparing a better specced HP spectre with the new Macbook Pro and specwise, it's better. But the real performance, the felt experience, that's a whole other story and yes it is true. I do prefer macOS and everything it brings WAY over windows. The last couple days I tried to work on my windows gaming PC and while most apps (creative cloud) are exactly the same, I stumbled over so many inconveniences I'd rather shell out 2,5k just to have the OS not get in the way of my productivity/creativity.

the video that tipped me over:

FINAL thoughts:
    I wouldn't pay for the hipster-bar as I see absolutely no benefit in it and how I use a laptop, also I think for my needs I'll be perfectly happy with the 13" performance, your mileage may differ. I'll go and get my 13" sometime in december if financials allow.

What's your thoughts?
    You have yours already? Whats good? Whats bad?

2. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Thats a really long thought process. Luckily I just wanted one and it looked like it would do what I wanted and I got it.

What I like about it is the great battery. For writing and school work I'll get 14 hours. I like the upgraded graphics performance, although at home I stream from a cheap gaming desktop so I don't have to hear the fans. I have the base model by the way.