MacBook Pro 2016 or Surface Book Convince me

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheRealAlex, Apr 3, 2016.

1. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

So I purchased a new 9.7 iPad Pro and love it. But I need expanded capability and that calls for a Laptop. My old one is past its time. But I am torn between a new MacBook Pro 2016 (not out yet) we all know that a new re-design is coming soon more than likely with the new amazing Butterfly Keyboard and 4 speakers like the iPad Pros. And hopefully 2 or 3 USB-C ports. That being said The Surface Book is nothing to under estimate its basically a marriage of an iPad Pro and a MacBook Pro. Theres something about it.

So I look to the pros here to help me see or understand a different viewpoint that I maybe missing.

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Lol how do we all "know" a redesign is coming? Do we work at Apple? Unless we do we have no clue for sure what they are doing. Even if they are what makes you think it's anything major? Macbooks have largely stayed the same style for quite some time now.

Also the new butterfly keyboard is the worse ever. If they put that in the Macbook Pro 2015 edition I would of never bought Macbook and probably gone with a Dell XPS 13. The sole reason why I didn't buy the 2015 Macbook is because of the keyboard. I loved the lightness of the Macbook and didn't mind the one port but that keyboard......wow it's a big pile of crap.

3. d0minick macrumors 6502

tried out the new keyboard, didnt take well to it. but i do believe the new MBP will feature it, ya know, to get thinner.

4. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

Of course its only logical to gather what appropriate changes Apple will make. Like a major redesign of the Macbook Pro line its getting stale over the years and has been so for a While. I expect a few simple things which will sway my buying choice. I only look for different view points on the merits of each Laptop.

- besides Updated internal hardware which is given 6th Gen Intel
    - DDR4 RAM
    - Butterfly Keyboard (personal taste but I love it)
    - Several USB-C ports
    - Fast Charging
    - Much Improved Audio Quad Speakers
    - Improved Color Gamut richer colors
    - thinner Display bezels
    - Support for True Tone display like the new 9.7 iPad Pro (slight chance)
    - redesigned thinner aluminum chasis
    - More colors options
    - Always on Hey Siri
    - Lastly my guess is for True innovation an included A9X CPU which will give MBP's 20+ hour battery life when running in Low Power Mode but fully capable of everything (this is very unlikely but would be very Apple style)

It will likely be the most significant MBP redesign ever. and they will cause pandemonium

5. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Obviously, this a Mac forum so most people here are going to tell you to buy a MacBook Pro.

It's like going to Burger King and asking people there if you should buy burgers from Burger King or McDonalds.

6. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Well I would suggest a surface pro 4 unless A) invested into the Apple ecosystem or like it* or B) require all day battery life.

In terms of point A: I have an iPhone but gladly would use it by itself and while I like the fact I can text on my Macbook it isn't a selling point for me. In terms of point B) spec to spec they both are quite even but battery life on the surface pro 4 can't last the whole day for me which is why I ended up with my Macbook Pro. It only lasted me 4 hours or so in my usage while my Macbook Pro lasts around 10 hours. I need it all day for school so that is a big deal breaker for me a day don't want to be stuck near a wall outlet. This is of course means you like Windows and OS X.

7. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Butterfly keyboard is never happening.....is horrible and most of the reviews agree with that opinion if not all do. USB C? Meh I don't feel the desire to buy adapters. Fast charging? It already is quite fast...... Your not going to get audio quad speakers and not the gimmick called true tone display..... You're going to get at most 6th gen Intel chips, DDR4 ram and the same dedicated gpu in the 15 inch. The casing will be the same or slightly revised but not by much.... Probably just color choices if that.

8. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 65816

The only reason I am here asking /hesitating is because theres a new MBP Version coming soon and I already have a New MacBook the one with the butterfly Keyboard and a iPad Pro 9.7 so I feel like I am sufficiently invested in Apple. No iPhone using Samsung Note 5.

Seems like the feelings here are predicting not a Major re-design.

9. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Look honestly I would get a Macbook Pro then. I do prefer windows since I want it for gaming but I have a 17 inch windows laptop for that already. I like the surface pro 4 and you would like that as well. Even though I said I would consider the surface pro 4 I love my Macbook Pro. I do like that pen which is why I would prefer it over the Macbook though but that's about it.

I would he happy to buy it today with the 2015 edition.