Macbook Pro 2016 peripherals and wifi issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rphillipss, Mar 12, 2017.

1. rphillipss macrumors newbie

rphillipss

I have been experiencing a peculiar issue on the 2016 MBP 13 inch.
    When connecting the SanDisk USB-C SD adapter to either of the LEFT side ports, the wifi drops out completely and almost instantly, every time. The issue cannot be replicated on the right hand ports. Even when there is no SD in the reader the wifi drops out. As soon as the reader is unplugged, connection resumes.

Has anyone experienced this issue, or a similar issue with other peripherals?

http://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/HKR62ZM/A/sandisk-extreme-pro-sd-uhs-ii-card-usb-c-reader
    As a side note -> it is interesting that this issue doesn't occur on the right side (reduced bandwidth ports)....

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Are you using a 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, or 2.4+5 signal? Are you in an area where there is a lot of wireless signal clutter?

It is possibly USB interference, and I am going to venture the guess that, if it is, the wiring for the WiFi antenna is closer to the left side ports. In some cases, changing the channel can rectify this. If you run a speed test when the adapter is plugged in on the right side, and then run it again when unplugged, are there differences in the speed?

3. jerryk macrumors 68020

There have been several threads about this type of behavior. You should be able to find them with a search.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

It's USB3 rf interference. That adapter may also be acting like a mini-radio-transmitter, wiping out your wifi signal when it's plugged into the left-hand-side.

Fishrrman's advice:
    Go with "what works".

In your case, that's easy: use the right-hand-side ports.

Aside:
    I don't think there is (or will be) any official "fix" for this.
    It is, what it is.