Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rina11

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Maryland
As my title says I will be buying a 2016 MacBook Pro this weekend for my job I'm a bit unsure about purchasing it reading a lot of MacRumors comments it seems to be a lot of flaws with the device..

I already own a 2014 MacBook Air but due to me being on the apple beta program I can't download the software I need for my job up there.

I just want to know have they fixed any of the problems is it worth it?

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
I can state with complete confidence that the Touch Bar MBP (I own the 13 and 15" models) have FEWER issues overall.

This forum is a TINY sliver of feedback and the web loves drama and negative posts a heck of a lot more than positive ones.

I also own an Air (it's a maxed out late model) and it had a few bugs. Remember: misery loves company and folks with real and unreal negatives stories flock to forums like flies with most products.

Thus far this is the nicest MacBook Pro to date and it bests my 15" rMBP with ease, which says a lot because that was a great little machine.

Naturally we'll now see the "I bought a 2015 instead" and "My tMBP ate my dog" posts, but I strongly suggest you take those with a grain of salt. MOST owners appear to e pretty happy.

That said, if you want to wait for the next cycle, it's 5 months away.

R

unashamedgeek

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
I've had my 15" MBP since December and I haven't had any issues. It is always hard to judge how many people have problems because people typically only post about problems. Not going to see many threads will people just post that they don't have any problems. You always have the ability to return something if it isn't to your liking.

Reactions: Rina11

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
You can always go to the store try out for an hour:

Type a two page document
See how the Touch bar improves your productivity in core apps you are likely to use.
Carry the cables for some of your most used peripherals and see how they integrate

You will obviously need a dongle for your iPhone 7 Plus and perhaps a Dock for anything else you might consider legacy. You could substitute iPhone cable syncing with wifi syncing and air drop (which I absolutely love, love, love).

You can also take advantage of Apples 14 day return policy.

Rina11

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Maryland
You can always go to the store try out for an hour:

Type a two page document
See how the Touch bar improves your productivity in core apps you are likely to use.
Carry the cables for some of your most used peripherals and see how they integrate

You will obviously need a dongle for your iPhone 7 Plus and perhaps a Dock for anything else you might consider legacy. You could substitute iPhone cable syncing with wifi syncing and air drop (which I absolutely love, love, love).

You can also take advantage of Apples 14 day return policy.

I went to the Apple Store last Saturday and played with it for a bit I will be going back Friday:)

But I most definitely will take advantage of Apple 14 day return policy if I have too

Reactions: Mr. Dee

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I have a 15" and haven't had any issues so far. I love the machine. Like Capt up there said, the forums are a very tiny sliver of owners.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I have a 2016 15" that I absolutely love. I have had zero problems to date and it has quickly become my favorite Apple laptop. I have owned several MBP's ranging from 17" to 13" and a couple Macbook Airs over the years and this one is definitely the all time fave so far. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
BTW, my OTHER favorite was the MacBook Air and not the 2015 15" rMBP, which was like handling a brick.

The new Touch Bar units along with the Air have great form-factors and I still love the tapered case of the Air better than the newest machines.

Though my Air has been upstaged by the new machines, I have yet to give it up!

R.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I went to the Apple Store last Saturday and played with it for a bit I will be going back Friday:)

But I most definitely will take advantage of Apple 14 day return policy if I have too
Also Apple uses the 14 day return policy language but it's really about 23 days they let you keep it before it has to be shipped back. I have returned several and as long as you initiate the return within the 2 weeks, Apple will actually give you 3 weeks. When you print your return info you will see where it says please have it to Fed Ex by....and it works out to be over 3 weeks. Apple wants to give you ample time to determine if it's the right fit for you. This is for online ordering, I'm not sure about Apple in store purchases.

Rina11

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Maryland
All theses comments have me really excited about purchasing it I'm sure I'm going to live it I can't wait until Friday

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
All theses comments have me really excited about purchasing it I'm sure I'm going to live it I can't wait until Friday

When you purchase it, they have a one on one phone session that you can schedule with them as well. Live with your new purchase a couple of weeks, and if you have any questions about how to set up or customize something to your own use, such as the TB, track pad or other features, take advantage of it. They will spend an hour with you, taking over your screen and showing you some features that may not be so obvious at first glance.

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and have been super happy with it before. I'm working full time and I'm a full time student in a graduate program for library science. The past semester has nearly killed me with everything going on and having an older, slower computer before I got this upgrade. I have been so productive lately, partly because things move so fast!

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I've been quite critical of some of the issues the current MBP had. Apple has, in my opinion, worked very hard to address most of these issues with a combination of software updates and customer service to better prevent & address individual QC incidents. To me, that's commitment that helps bolster my confidence in a platform that I've come to really like. The keyboard took several days for me to adjust to-I'm neither in the hate nor love camp with it...it types for me and that's good enough for a laptop keyboard.

I personally went with the model without the touch bar. Even this base 13-inch with all the entry-level options is a very capable computer, and MacBook Air owners who purchase this model as a replacement tend to be very happy with their decision.

If you are using it at work with other work tech, you may want to order a dock that provides some of the older ports that may still be used often in your company. And, as I've learned the hard way, purchasing one extra USB-A adapter that lives in your carry case and never, ever, ever leaves it can save some future frustration when on-the-go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.