MacBook Pro 2016 reinstall OS first thing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by runner77, Nov 30, 2016.

1. runner77 macrumors member

Hi guys

I've seen in several threads people mentioning that they would reinstall the OS after receiving their MBP 2016. Why should this be done?

I'm expecting my delivery next week, so I am curious to know what the actual advantages are of this procedure. Which bugs would be fixed that way?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It should not be done and is a complete waste of time that accomplishes nothing.

What you are seeing is threads where people migrated in an old Mac, and that brought along with it different apps and utilities that may be incompatible with Sierra. So in that example, a clean install would get rid of the incompatible items and fix things. But aside from that scenario, there is zero reason to do a OS reinstall on a new Mac.

3. runner77 thread starter macrumors member

4. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

When I received my MBP I had many crashes for Photos app and the System Integrity Protection was disabled by default. So I reinstalled by booting into recovery mode with CMD+R, formatted the drive and reinstalled. System Integrity Protection was enabled and Photos stopped crashing.

Of course you don't need to do this, and you can manually enable SIP by just typing "csrutil enable" in recovery mode. I just did it to feel good :p

5. mahcus36 macrumors regular

yeah....that's definitely not true. check the 13" and 15" battery life thread. most of the people who reinstalled Sierra were setting it up as a new Mac, didn't migrate anything from an old Mac

6. WuMyster macrumors regular

Hi. Sorry what is SIP? This will be my first macOS machine.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is true. Those people either migrated or installed apps or utilities that are incompatible with Sierra.

If you reinstall the OS, you get the exact same OS version and even build number that is came with, so there is no way a reinstall would accomplish anything other than removing whatever this party items were installed or migrated in.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 30, 2016 ---
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204899

Apple support article here explains it. It is essentially a system that prevents either you or rogue apps from tinkering with key parts of the OS and Apple apps.

8. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

9. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

Do an NVRAM reset, it will make sure that SIP is enabled an apparently battery life is where it should be after doing this too.

SIP was off on mine out of the box so I did the reset, its been fine since then. Getting all day use when running office apps and browsing. Using VM's etc obviously knocks battery life but that is to be expected.

10. mahcus36 macrumors regular

ok well i'm just telling you what i read in that thread.

if you disagree with the principle of what they're doing, it's one thing. but to flat out say that i'm lying about what i'm saying, and that they're lying about what they're saying/doing, that's just ignorance if you ask me.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nobody is saying you are lying. All I am saying is you are mistaken.