MacBook Pro 2016 terrible speed and stability

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2016
Hello,
Back in October 2016, I bought the new MacBook Pro for the time.

"MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

"2.9 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5"
"8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3"
Yeah, it isn't the best, but it has worked for years.
However, I have had the keyboard looked at and/or replaced 3 times, and have done several clean installs.
But recently, it has become almost unbearable. I recently clean installed Catalina, and ever since then I have had some of the worst problems.
The computer is terribly slow. Opening System Preferences takes several seconds, opening a simple Pages document can cause it to beachball for seconds at a time, and start up takes ages. But the worst problem is waking from sleep mode. I will open the lid, and it can take up to 30 seconds to become responsive. It will just freeze on the desktop, until it finally starts working again.
I've already done a clean install, I don't have any start up items, I don't have any old 32 bit apps. In fact, the only apps I have downloaded are iWork and a few utilities from the App Store.
I have no idea what is wrong. I don't believe it is Catalina, because I used the beta all summer with none of the problems. It might just be my computer aging, but seeing as my white MacBook that I had previously lasted from 2009 to 2016, I highly doubt that this one should be slowing down not even 3 years after purchase.
I'm waiting for apple to release 10.15.1, and if that doesn't fix my issues, then I'm taking the computer to the Apple store.
anyone else with a 2016MBP having problems?

Howard2k

macrumors 68030
Mar 10, 2016
If you backup and then do a fresh Internet install without restoring or installing any apps, does the problem persist?