MacBook Pro 2016 touchbar or 2017 without

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pookitoo, Jun 18, 2017.

1. pookitoo macrumors regular

pookitoo

hello, i can have a deal on a 2016 MacBook Pro with touchbar with 512 ssd for the same price as the MacBook Pro 2017 without touchbar but with 256 ssd . What do you think it’s better ?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

You don't give us any idea of how good "the deal" is, but…

Doesn't the tb2016 also have a higher CPU speed than the ntb2017?
    Perhaps a better graphics processor as well?

If that's the case, the above -and- the 512gb SSD would have me taking the 2016 model!

3. pookitoo thread starter macrumors regular

pookitoo

Thanks for your reply ;) the MacBook Pro with touchbar 2016 is with 512 ssd, base i5, 8 go ram : 1755 €
    The MacBook Pro without touchbar 2017 is the base modèle with 256 ssd , base i5, 8 go ram : 1749 €

I’ve already test the 2016 touchbar and was good computer but battery not very good and little bit noisy on some design software like affinity designer

The 2017 without touchbar have Kaby lake and less power voltage processor, and maybe I’ll have more battery and slightly better performances ? When I see benchmark 2017 without touchbar outperform the 2016 with touchbar ( I know benchmark are not everything but maybe a little bit’more Power ?

But 256 ssd and low’power Voltage processor maybe it’s better to go with the 2016 with touchbar ?

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Mine's dead silent running Affinity and I get around 10 hours battery life. Did you make the assumption the battery is bad from day one? Because they run a little power hungry for a day or so while they do encryption, work through Photos and set everything up.

The 2016 is the better computer, with a more powerful CPU. Just ignore benchmarks as you're looking at max performance potential, not sustained potential. A higher wattage CPU is faster day to day. Battery wise I think the nTB models get a little longer battery, but on average you're looking at maybe an hour. If an hour extra battery is crucial to you (You can plug either of them into an external battery bank) then that's the one. However if you plan on having the computer for some years, you might prefer a more powerful machine than a minuscule increase in battery life over the course of the lifetime of the machine.

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

The 2016 for the extra storage alone is worth it.

6. jrasero macrumors regular

I have a 2017 Non TB i7 and you are right for the most part. Really depends on what your doing day to day in order to maximize the power on either chip set

also an hour for a laptop for me is huge. These new gen Macbook Pros have smaller batteries, so to eek out 1 extra hour is a big deal especially when so many people on either size (13" 15") have found so-so battery for the 2016 versions.

I think if your looking at a 13' power isn't the biggest issue but rather do you want the TB and Touch ID and do you need the extra 2 USB C/Thunderbolt ports. For me personally the only thing that would give me pause is the extra ports