MacBook Pro 2016 with or without Touch Bar?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KK1988, Feb 26, 2018.

1. KK1988 macrumors newbie

KK1988

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to buy a new Macbook Pro, and trying to decide between 2 refurb models below and hoping to get some feedback.

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.0GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 with Retina Display — Silver ($1739 AUD)
    Originally released October 2016
    13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display; 2560x1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch
    8GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
    256GB PCIe-based onboard SSD
    720p FaceTime HD Camera
    Intel Iris Graphics 540

Refurbished 13.3-inch Macbook Pro 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 with Retina Display - Silver ($2019 AUD)
    Originally released October 2016
    Touch Bar with integrated Touch ID sensor
    13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display; 2560x1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch
    8GB of 2133MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
    256GB PCIe-based onboard SSD
    720p FaceTime HD Camera
    Intel Iris Graphics 550

My main use will be very minimum, mainly web browsing and music playback (iTunes or Spotify), with occasional excel work and some light photo editing.
    It mainly comes down to the number of ports (2 USB C for the non Touch Bar, 4 for the Touch Bar) as well as if it's worth paying extra $300 for the higher specs and the Touch Bar.

I'm leaning toward the cheaper one without the Touch Bar, because although the Touch Bar one has more Thunderbolt ports, I will have to buy a USB hub to connect my USB 3 devices with either model, and right now all my devices are with USB 3. Also I'm not too keen on the Touch Bar feature at the moment except for Touch ID.

At the same time I read on some forums that the non Touch Bar model has some fan noise issues, which concerns me a bit if it's constant and very loud. Also if there is a noticeable processing speed difference for my light use between the two models, I will be happy to go with the touch bar model. I'm also kind of curious if there will be more things you can do with the touch bar in the near future, but if this is the case I could also stick with the non touch bar model and wait and see.

Sorry for the rant but I'm just wondering which will be the better value for the money overall. Any opinion is appreciated. Thanks!

2. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

For ur use the fans won't kick in. Even the MacBook 12" would be sufficient.

Regarding TB there are no official plans what will happen. Maybe at the next Apple event in summer.

For me Touch ID is more interesting. But if u don't I recommend the nonTB version or even the MB if you like the smaller case

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Any MacBook made in the last 5 years will be fine.

A small portable dock is great but do remember you can just change the cables on your usb 3 devices in most cases.

Touch Bar has some nice features and better touch tool gives it far more customisation and functionality take a look at some videos and see if its for you.

Do consider the 500gb ssd option as ssd upgrades are nigh on impossible on them all at the moment the touch bar models have it all soldered to the logic board and the non touch bar has no replacement options.

I doubt that the fans will ever turn on with your stated usage so i wouldn't worry about the non touch bar at all.

4. KK1988 thread starter macrumors newbie

KK1988

Thanks for your input! As much as the Macbook or Macbook Air seem attractive, I really want Retina and at least 13" screen so both are a close miss.
    Good to know that the fan won't be an issue unless for a heavier use. Touch Bar is definitely exciting but maybe I will see what comes out of it in the future and I can upgrade then..
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2018 ---
    Thanks for your input!
    I'm looking at refurb models so unfortunately upgrading is not an option. I do plan to use an external drive so hopefully that will have me covered. Touch bar definitely looks cool, but having tried it in the shops, right now it feels for me like a nice to have, not a gotta have at all cost. Right now f I am to spend more money it's for a better processing speed rather than so I can play with touch bar.
    Appreciate your opening my eye to switching the cable for the external devices! Can't believe I didn't even think about that :B

5. sergeyz macrumors member

sergeyz

If this is important for you, the 2016 MBP w/o touch bar runs on the battery for about 1 hour longer

6. KK1988 thread starter macrumors newbie

KK1988

Thanks for the info! Good to know, better battery definitely adds another point to the non-touch bar model