MacBook Pro (2016) with Touch Bar randomly died on me prior to preorder...

melancholy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Hello everyone, I’m a little surprised and shooken up tonight after finding out my MacBook Pro (2016) with Touch Bar just died on me out of the blue...

It’s getting to me because this notebook was something I used less than often, more rarely than ever. I’ve never even laid a finger on some of the keys on the keyboard or touched the display, no marks or debris. This was something that has technically left my house, so it’s surprised me that it died under my care (only being charged once the battery depleted under 15%, never always plugged). The last time I used it was last night and I only went to clear out my notifications there before putting it back to sleep and auto-unlocking via Apple Watch so my next use case doesn’t need me to type in my long password because auto-locking/Touch ID stops working if not used within 24 hours...

So tonight, as I’m preparing to get all my devices ready for preorder, I realized my MacBook Pro was off and not on standby. I tried powering it on but it’s dead... the trackpad remained stiff. I also tried plugging it into other outlets but nothing changed. Even trying the SMC reset showed no resolve.

I checked online to see the repair cost and all I saw were prices for battery replacements. My MacBook Pro is out of warranty too, so I’m afraid I’ll be charged a hefty amount for a logic board failure, storage failure, or anything that failed internally.

TL;DR: I was wondering if there was anyone else who had experience with their Macs suddenly dying, what was the cost? What exactly went wrong with yours and how did they go about fixing it?

I very much appreciate any responses. Thanks.

DeanPSN

macrumors regular
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Did you try an SMC reset?
Unplug it and hold the power button for atleast 30 seconds and see if turns on after, if not try the SMC reset. (You can find on Apple website how to perform it)
Maybe that will sort it out.
Very weird to die like this out of nowhere...

melancholy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Did you try an SMC reset?
Unplug it and hold the power button for atleast 30 seconds and see if turns on after, if not try the SMC reset. (You can find on Apple website how to perform it)
Maybe that will sort it out.
Very weird to die like this out of nowhere...
Thanks for the response. I did the SMC reset, sadly it did nothing.

It’s just dead. There’s nothing to indicate that anything is functioning (no noise, there’s no visual indicators that it’s on).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.