Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djokic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Serbia
Hi all,

I recently transferred from windows OS to Mac OS and to be honest im really scared, I payed for my MacBook Pro $3500 but it is not even close to something I expected.

While I don't run any process my maximize/minimize animations or desktop change animations are slow and laggy. Also I noticed that when I play some game on Desktop 2 and I want to go back on desktop one with Touch Bar (three finger scrolling to left/right) then it is so slower then on windows, lag is really noticeable.

Please take a look at 14 seconds video that I uploaded and let me know is there any solution or should I return/replace this MacBook Pro? I just purchased it, 2 days ago...

this is my configuration

2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with 8MB shared L3 cacheTurbo BoostTurbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
16GB of 2133MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
512 GB
15inch Retina display 2880 x 1800
Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB of GDDR5 memory

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Do all windows minimize/maximize like that? Because that's not normal. Did it come with High Sierra installed? Apple rewrote the Windowserver in High Sierra and there are bugs, though I don't know of any specifically affecting performance. You can try installing the 10.13.1 Public Beta (it fixes a memory leak with the windowserver), and/or running a Hardware Diagnostics Test to see if it's a hardware issue.

Reactions: djokic

dof250

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
My 5k iMac with 4Ghz Core i7 and R9 395X does the same. The stutter is much less, but it is there.

djokic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Serbia
Do all windows minimize/maximize like that? Because that's not normal. Did it come with High Sierra installed? Apple rewrote the Windowserver in High Sierra and there are bugs, though I don't know of any specifically affecting performance. You can try installing the 10.13.1 Public Beta (it fixes a memory leak with the windowserver), and/or running a Hardware Diagnostics Test to see if it's a hardware issue.
Not like this one, this one is worse... but most of them are lagging a bit... I mean I did not expect that, I don't have that problem on windows OS

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Windows has got shorted, simpler animations. And when you resize a window often the window content is refreshed after a bit.
And your Mac has got a retina screen, it means 4x the number of pixels, what's the resolution you are usually running Windows at?

And then again, macOS gui is color corrected, so it's slower than Windows anyway, and that Activity Monitor window was written 15 years ago, and probably is not optimised for a retina screen.

Anyway, Windows gui is usually faster than macOS gui.

djokic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Serbia
Windows has got shorted, simpler animations. And when you resize a window often the window content is refreshed after a bit.
And your Mac has got a retina screen, it means 4x the number of pixels, what's the resolution you are usually running Windows at?

And then again, macOS gui is color corrected, so it's slower than Windows anyway, and that Activity Monitor window was written 15 years ago, and probably is not optimised for a retina screen.

Thanks for your reply, I'm using 2880x1800 resolution on my MacBook Pro.

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
My daughter has a 2017 i7 3.5GHz MBP and it's a lot faster than that. There is no lag driving a 4K 27" display either.

She's on Sierra at the moment and I've advised her to wait a while for High Sierra.

djokic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Serbia
My daughter has a 2017 i7 3.5GHz MBP and it's a lot faster than that. There is no lag driving a 4K 27" display either.

She's on Sierra at the moment and I've advised her to wait a while for High Sierra.
Even if you try to resize CPU History from Activity Monitor?

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
I haven't tried that and the computer isn't here to test at the moment, but I would say the performance is generally fine. It's not as fast as my Mac Pro for heavy lifting, such as exporting from Maya or running batch actions in Photoshop, but there is no delay or lag in general usage.

EDIT: BTW She is a digital games animator, so I'm sure I would have heard if it was slow.

djokic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
Serbia
I haven't tried that and the computer isn't here to test at the moment, but I would say the performance is generally fine. It's not as fast as my Mac Pro for heavy lifting, such as exporting from Maya or running batch actions in Photoshop, but there is no delay or lag in general usage.

EDIT: BTW She is a digital games animator, so I'm sure I would have heard if it was slow.

Thanks so much Ashley, I will take a closer look at another and further replies... in few days I have to decide will I keep it or not.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Not like this one, this one is worse... but most of them are lagging a bit... I mean I did not expect that, I don't have that problem on windows OS

I’m on a 2016 MBP with integrated graphics and the lag I experience with that window is much less than that. Something’s not right.

You didn’t answer if you’re on High Sierra or not...I just saw a thread that mentioned a bug with lagging graphics when you wake the laptop. Does the issue go away when you restart the computer, or is it always laggy?

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018

OMG! this is the most professional and "get to the point" answer I've ever seen for this annoying and confusing problem that happens on every Mac. you are so gooood!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.