Macbook Pro 2017 256GB Storage Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macbookpro112, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Macbookpro112 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I bought a macbook pro 2017 256gb storage, my concern is, i have apps like youtube, facebook etc normal apps i'd say, and sometimes they get updates, now, my concern is: How are the updates things going? i mean, i will reach a point where i won't be able to update my apps anymore because of my low storage? cuz that's my concern, not being able to update my apps because of my 256gb storage..

Thanks!

2. redleg6 macrumors newbie

If you think 256gb of storage is not going to meet you needs then invest in an external storage device and store your photos, videos, files and other stuff on your external drive.

3. Macbookpro112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Nono, i'm concerned only for my apps like facebook youtube, you know the one what gets updates from mac store, i have a portable SSD samsung t5 but i was wondering if apps gets updates that means their size will grow right? so instead of 1gb app will be 2gb app if recieves constant updates right?

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

Assuming a normal selection of apps, that is unlikely to be an issue for approximately the next 20 years.

5. Digimutant macrumors newbie

Digimutant

I wouldn't think app updates would take a lot of storage. When it updates, it adds a little bit to storage but everything else has something overwritten.

You're more likely to clog up with temporary files (files you don't necessarily need) than updates. 128GB on my rMBP 13in, clean install and installed Pages, Numbers and Keynote and I still have about 90GB left. It only fills up a lot if I use Final Cut Pro or iMovie, or I never run an application like CCleaner.

6. Macbookpro112 thread starter macrumors newbie

So in order to have everything clean and storage free, it's recommended to use CCleaner occasionally?

Thanks!

7. Digimutant macrumors newbie

Digimutant

It does help in most cases. Just don't go overboard installing large applications. For stuff like YouTube and Facebook, do you mean the websites or actual apps?

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Apps usually do get bigger and sometimes take more and more other space (like in ~/Library folders) over time. Online games that download data from servers can be growing space hogs.

9. Macbookpro112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actual apps from the mac store like you would download facebook or instagram on your iphone, if you check the app store you'll have updates ocasionally and i thought that maybe will add and add more space into my macbook due to apps being updated regularly, for photos & movies i use a portable SSD, as for music, there are itunes,spotifty, youtube etc

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

- It will, technically. But at a rate so slow that you won't run into problems on your 256 GB for about 20 years.

11. Macbookpro112 thread starter macrumors newbie

In this case, it's all right, lasting 20 years, it good enough :)

Thanks for replies!