Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

factorial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2021
Hi everyone,

Currently, I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) and a USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and would like to buy an external monitor that I can connect to it, but I want to make sure that it's compatible.
I did a bit of research around here and on Reddit, and from what I understood is that It might work but will run on a low refresh rate (60 FPS)? I also found out that some monitors just don't work with older models, or stopped working after some OS updates, and in some cases, a monitor may require something called DSC (Display Stream Compression) which I am not sure if my MacBook supports.

Monitors List:
- LG 27GN950-B
- ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQR 32"
- ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A 27”
- ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27”
- Samsung Odyssey 32" G7 (LC32G75TQSMXUE)
- LG 27GL850-B 27"
- GIGABYTE M27Q 27"

Note:
- I am most likely to upgrade my MacBook pro by the end of this year or the beginning of the next one. (Maybe M1, or even M2 if it will be available by then).

I would appreciate it if someone could help confirm which monitor I can get from the list above that is that is compatible and I can run hassle-free, or maybe suggest a better one.

Thanks.

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hi everyone,

Currently, I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) and a USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and would like to buy an external monitor that I can connect to it, but I want to make sure that it's compatible.
I did a bit of research around here and on Reddit, and from what I understood is that It might work but will run on a low refresh rate (60 FPS)? I also found out that some monitors just don't work with older models, or stopped working after some OS updates, and in some cases, a monitor may require something called DSC (Display Stream Compression) which I am not sure if my MacBook supports.

Monitors List:
- LG 27GN950-B
- ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQR 32"
- ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A 27”
- ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27”
- Samsung Odyssey 32" G7 (LC32G75TQSMXUE)
- LG 27GL850-B 27"
- GIGABYTE M27Q 27"

Note:
- I am most likely to upgrade my MacBook pro by the end of this year or the beginning of the next one. (Maybe M1, or even M2 if it will be available by then).

I would appreciate it if someone could help confirm which monitor I can get from the list above that is that is compatible and I can run hassle-free, or maybe suggest a better one.

Thanks.
Your Mac will work just fine with virtually any 4K display at a 60Hz refresh rate. I personally would use a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter rather than HDMI. There's just too many variables with HDMI which can impact the ability to run at 60Hz (the adapter, the cable and the monitor itself all have to be just the right spec). Meanwhile, any 'version' of DisplayPort will fully support 4K @ 60Hz without having to think about it.

Or get yourself a USB-C monitor that supports power delivery, and run the monitor and charge the laptop with a single cable.

factorial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2021
Thanks for your input xraydoc. From your experience, what works better here though? A 1440p 32" IPS monitor @ 60Hz, or a 4k 27" IPS @ 60Hz? I guess a 4K 32" IPS would be ideal? But they are kinda pricey.
Something to highlight, I plan to upgrade my MacBook Pro to M1/M2 next year or so as I mentioned, but I am not sure if it supports a higher refresh rate than 60Hz? Also, I will use this monitor for PS5. So, if that is the case I think It's better to find a common ground for something future proof?

Last edited:

Okta

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2014
Your Mac will work just fine with virtually any 4K display at a 60Hz refresh rate. I personally would use a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter rather than HDMI. There's just too many variables with HDMI which can impact the ability to run at 60Hz (the adapter, the cable and the monitor itself all have to be just the right spec). Meanwhile, any 'version' of DisplayPort will fully support 4K @ 60Hz without having to think about it.

Or get yourself a USB-C monitor that supports power delivery, and run the monitor and charge the laptop with a single cable.
^ Listen to this. I've had a myriad of issues trying to get my 4K panel working correctly over HDMI

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Thanks for your input xraydoc. From your experience, what works better here though? A 1440p 32" IPS monitor @ 60Hz, or a 4k 27" IPS @ 60Hz? I guess a 4K 32" IPS would be ideal? But they are kinda pricey.
Something to highlight, I plan to upgrade my MacBook Pro to M1/M2 next year or so as I mentioned, but I am not sure if it supports a higher refresh rate than 60Hz? Also, I will use this monitor for PS5. So, if that is the case I think It's better to find a common ground from something future proof?
Personally, there's no way I'd want to use a 32" 1440p monitor. Even at 27", text on a 1440p monitor is less than awesome. At 32", it just won't look good (in my humble opinion).

At 32", a 1440p monitor only has 92 DPI. 4K at 32" is 137 DPI, and at 27" is 163 DPI.

I would definitely go 4K for any Mac use -- Apple has made the move to high-DPI displays and they're not going to look back. Text and UI elements are optimized for 4K (and above) and it isn't going to change.

Using it for PS5 and other gaming systems does present a bit of a challenge, since high-refresh rate (>60Hz) 4K monitors either use VA panels or if they use IPS panels will be expensive. Some people don't mind VA panels at all, and they do have some advantages, but many people prefer IPS panels for accuracy and improved viewing angles. For a high-quality gaming-speed 4K monitor that can run double duty as a high-quality work monitor, you may need to do some research if you really want/need those high refresh rates.

FYI, Macs do support refresh rates higher than 60Hz, but since most people aren't really gaming on a Mac, it makes little difference. My M1 MBA can run my 34" 1440p ultrawide at 144Hz, but there's really no point (my gaming PC, on the other hand...).

Reactions: factorial

factorial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2021
Thanks xraydoc, I appreciate your insights. I think I will have to make a compromise here for this all-in-one setup, and it's gonna be the refresh rate since you can't really play at 4k @ 120fps on the PS5 unless the monitor has HDMI 2.1 which will be even more expensive...

Still, it's kind of challenging to find a decent 32" IPS 4k monitor even with just a 60Hz refresh rate that matches my budget (Thanks Fishrrman for sharing that link), the vast majority are using VA panels, and the only okay-ish ones I was able to find are the LG 32UN650, which I am not sure if it's good enough and the LG 32UN880 which seems better, but most likely won't work with my setup (I got a thin desk).

The thing is, I never used a VA panel, always had IPS monitors, or was just dependant on my MacBook Pro screen, so I am not sure how good/bad it will be for me ?

I initially allocated a budget of 900$, but I can't do that anymore, so it's gotta be something around 700$ or less.
Could you or anyone else help me choose the best one from the list below? Or suggest the best monitor around that budget?

LG 32UN650 (IPS Panel)
Dell S2721QS (IPS Panel)
Dell S3221QS (VA Panel)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I initially allocated a budget of 900$, but I can't do that anymore, so it's gotta be something around 700$ or less.
Could you or anyone else help me choose the best one from the list below? Or suggest the best monitor around that budget?

LG 32UN650 (IPS Panel)
Dell S2721QS (IPS Panel)
Dell S3221QS (VA Panel)
I have no personal experience with any of those, but if it were me, I'd pick the LG. It's an IPS panel, and though the refresh rate maxes out at 60hz, it will do AMD freesync, so it can vary the refresh rate to limit tearing on games up to 60hz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.