MacBook Pro 2017 keyboard warranty

Steve0000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Hi there!

Going to buy a 2017 mbp and have read on here that the keyboard has an extended warranty of 4 years rather than 1.... does anyone know if this applies in the UK also?

Thanks,
Steve

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The support page describing that repair program in the UK is here.
Look at the last line in that article.
The program covers eligible MacBook and MacBook Pro models for 4 years after the first retail sale of the unit.
I think Apple will not use the term "extended warranty", as it is a specific service program, and does NOT extend the standard warranty. Again, near the bottom of that article:
This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of your MacBook or MacBook Pro.
Some keyboard repairs might be covered, but associated issues that might, or might not be part of the keyboard program could interfere with those keyboard repairs, and might be extra charge, or no charge. An example might be a swelling battery possibly making a few keys hard to press. Battery would have to be replaced, which might be charged as not associated with the keyboard repair, or may be included at no charge. That is going to vary from one repair to the next.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Consumer law or a repair program is not an extended warranty and will not blanket cover all failures. Buy AppleCare. :)

Steve0000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
The support page describing that repair program in the UK is here.
Look at the last line in that article.
I think Apple will not use the term "extended warranty", as it is a specific service program, and does NOT extend the standard warranty. Again, near the bottom of that article:
Some keyboard repairs might be covered, but associated issues that might, or might not be part of the keyboard program could interfere with those keyboard repairs, and might be extra charge, or no charge. An example might be a swelling battery possibly making a few keys hard to press. Battery would have to be replaced, which might be charged as not associated with the keyboard repair, or may be included at no charge. That is going to vary from one repair to the next.
Thanks a lot mate! Appreciate the info!!
[doublepost=1543029420][/doublepost]
Consumer law or a repair program is not an extended warranty and will not blanket cover all failures. Buy AppleCare. :)
That's what I've been thinking... If it's worth buying the AppleCare or not...

The only fault that I've read so far with this MacBook is the keyboard and if that's covered for the most part... Is it worth buying the AppleCare? Or is it worth taking the risk that nothing else fails.

AppleCare's coming up at around 20% cost of the overall laptop. Seems like a lot to me.