MacBook Pro 2017 or MacBook 12" 2017

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dave245, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Dave245 macrumors 601

so I think this year (2017) is the year I finally upgrade from my 2011 MacBook Pro, it's been a great machine over the last 5 and a half years but just lately it's started to get slow at the tasks I've been doing on it. My only dilemma is do I go for this years MacBook Pro (if they update them with the Kaby Lake processors and other small upgrades) OR should I get the 12" MacBook, if the rumours are true that there will be a 16GB option and Kaby Lake I will find it difficult to decide which one to get. I mainly use my computers for the following tasks

Editing audio for podcasts
    Editing video sometime to help out friends and or YouTube videos
    Word processing (i do this a lot as I'm a writer)
    General web browsing
    Multitasking (I like to have the split screen thing often with word processor on one side and the internet on the other)
    Picture in picture
    Apple Music - music in the back ground is always nice

I'm not sure if the 12" MacBook would meet those needs but then I'm not sure if the new MacBook Pro with Touchbar would be over kill. Do those of you who have purchased the MacBook Pro with Touch bar recommend it? And if so what do you use your's for?

2. honeybadger1022 macrumors member

honeybadger1022

Obviously everything is really speculation at this point but consider the following.

Most of your tasks minus the video editing should be solid in the Macbook. I've never tried to edit video on the current gen, but I don't imagine it would be amazing.

So then you ask your self about the screen size and cost and really go from there.

I love my 15in tbMPB and would recommend it to anyone who actually utilizes what it has to offer. I do mainly full stack and systems development at school and it's nice not having to use labe computers all the time.

3. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

Yes it is all speculation until Apple announces anything, which is why I will wait and see. The video editing is just YouTube stuff, and mainly to help friends out sometimes, I do have my own videos that I like to edit, but they are usually just videos I shoot in 4K on my iPhone 7 Plus. Also the audio editing I do for podcasts, but I usually do that within GarageBand which isn't a very intensive app.