Macbook Pro 2018 15 Inch Battery drain while sleeping

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Khaleal, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Khaleal macrumors member

I recently upgraded to the 2018 MacBook Pro 15" from my 15" 2016 model.
    And while I like the laptop, I'm having an issue with the battery.

When I let the laptop sleep at night (close the lid), the laptop seems to lose about 1-1.5% of battery charge per 1 hour of sleep, so if I had 100% battery charge before letting the laptop go to sleep, the next day (about 10 hours later), I'd be left with 83-90 percent of battery charge. I didn't have such issue with my 2016 one.

What I tried so far:
    1. Complete re-installation of the OS (latest High Sierra with supplemental update, don't want to upgrade to Mojave as it isn't compatible with Android Studio). Didn't install any software (not even Chrome).
    2. SMC Reset.
    3. Called Apple and the guy on the phone helped me to delete the caches (which is pointless as I have a brand new OS)

But I'm still having the same issue.

I appreciate any help

2. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502a

I just got mine yesterday and I haven’t even fully had one charge cycle yet but I will monitor this and see if I come across the same thing. My guess is disabling power nap will help this issue though.

3. Khaleal thread starter macrumors member

I have performed a clean installation of the OS, so I don't think it's something settings-related as I have the default settings and didn't change anything.

4. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502a

Fair enough then I am not sure on this one.

5. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

While the machine is running on battery power (ie, not plugged into anything) please run pmset -g from Terminal and post the results.

You can also check Activity Monitor and look at the Preventing Sleep field. I guess you've done that already?

6. Khaleal thread starter macrumors member

I don't think that I need to do this as I've performed a clean install of the OS as I previously mentioned. But I'll post the results of pmset anyway:

Code:
    System-wide power settings:
    Currently in use:
     standbydelay         10800
     standby              1
     halfdim              1
     hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
     powernap             0
     gpuswitch            2
     disksleep            10
     sleep                1 (sleep prevented by sharingd)
     autopoweroffdelay    28800
     hibernatemode        3
     autopoweroff         1
     ttyskeepawake        1
     displaysleep         2
     tcpkeepalive         1
     acwake               0
     lidwake              1

7. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

Standbydelay 10800 means it's going to chill out for 3 hours after you close the lid and before it goes to sleep.

I had a similar issue where sleep worked great under Sierra, but then under High Sierra is was significantly degraded. Then when I did a clean installed of Mojave (.0) it was even worse.

I didn't fix the problem under HS but I did get it fixed under Mojave. With a clean install of Mojave my standbydelay was set for 24 hours(!). I set that value to 2700 (45 minutes) and it's working fantastically now.

I would consider setting that to be a lower value then 10800. The upside if that it will go to sleep sooner. The downside is that waking when you open the lid it'll take a little longer to come up. Right now you may have noticed that if you close the lid for 25 minutes and open it, it's faster to come up than it is after 10 hours.

8. Khaleal thread starter macrumors member

But shouldn't it be getting 30 days of standby with default settings? if I lose 10% every 10 hours while the laptop is sleeping, that means that I have a standby of 100 hours (or 4 days) which is no where near the advertised number. If these numbers are accurate, given that I leave the laptop sleeping for 4 days, I'll have a flat battery

9. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

30 days when it has hibernated, and probably assuming swift hibernation.

When you close the lid the Macbook first powers off the display. Then after a period of time it will hibernate. The issue in my case was that it was never going into hibernation (24 hours - this was the default setting with a clean install). In your case it probably is going into hibernation but only after chewing on the battery for 3 hours.

Since the initial 3 hours is higher draw than the subsequent time in hibernation, then the power does not decrease linearly.

Your car manufacturer can quote you numbers on fuel economy but given your driving habits, traffic conditions, road conditions etc., your specific fuel economy will deviate.

10. Khaleal thread starter macrumors member

So given that I have default settings, is this an intended behavior and considered normal (losing 10% after 10 hours sleep)?

11. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

I don't know if it's intended or if it's normal.

12. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502a

Whats your overall assessment on the 2018 15" MBP? Good? Bad? Im curious.

13. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

I have a 2015 13”. So my opinion is moot. But my opinion is that it’s almost an amazing machine. Poor keyboard, T2 issues, and audio issues would prevent me from buying the 2018 range. But again, I have a 2015 and it meets my needs. If had to buy a new laptop and could not wait for the next refresh I would but a 2018, or a used 2015 and gold out for the 2019.

14. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502a

Makes sense. Everyone says the 2015 MBP was the best MBP by far.

15. Khaleal thread starter macrumors member

Yesterday it only lost about 3% of battery charge in a 10 hours sleep, so I'm not sure if I have an issue or not as the battery drain is inconsistent

16. SaintMark macrumors newbie

SaintMark

When the problem appears again, try to check how the computer behaves during sleep:
    pmset -g log|grep -e " Sleep " -e " Wake "

The problem is the macOS continues to check for updates while your MacBook Pro is asleep. To fix it you need to set the tcpkeepalive setting to 0.

Open up Terminal and type:
    sudo pmset -b tcpkeepalive 0

This only disables Internet access during sleep when you are not connected to power.

17. jerryk macrumors 601

Anyone know what sharingd is? As in (sleep prevented by sharingd)

Are you sharing you computer's drive with other systems or visa verse. Maybe you have a backup running all the time or have documents on a server open.