Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alongdingdong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
Hi All for video editing i am considering the 13 inch pro.
https://www.apple.com/hk/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch-space-gray-256gb-2.3ghz-quad-core#

The specs
  • 2.3GHz quad-core 8th‑generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
I am surprised that lower tier pro models only have a dual core processor.... like its still 2010... i kept the I5 selected because the I7 is another 300~ dollar..
  • Retina display with True Tone
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID <- i dont care for this bit.
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 <- Kind of sucks honestly compared to the 15 inch model GPU. and apparantly this same build in GPU performs better with the I7 CPU.. :(
  • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory <- 16 GB kind of a must.
  • 256GB SSD storage <- 3TB Time capsule for storage, so 256GB is ok for me.
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • Backlit Keyboard - US English
Why 13 inch? compact and small, i travel lots in the weekends and will use my iphone for shooting lots of footage, i airdrop it to the laptop check the footage if its ok or not, reshoot if required.

I need my entire setup fitting into a slim backpack. (Go Pro 7 black, Manfrotto monopod, earpods, chargers for laptop and iphone, bluetooth microphone.

I make lots of daily youtube content, this laptop will be my main video edit rig.

Honestly at this price point i can have a high end desktop rig for the price of this laptop.
So i am willing to make some concessions.

The cheaper alternative is the lower tier pro but those have a dual core processor, which is really low end to me in this day and age.

I edit 4K/60FPS footage from iphone and GoPro and downsample it to 1080p for youtube and lower redering times (daily video upload to youtube, time is essential)

This pro version will set me back around 500 USD more then the step below with the dual core setup. Honestly i rather keep the 500 bucks extra and buy a newer version off it 2/3 years later.

Last edited:

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
Take footage of yours and test your workload on a demo machine. Using iMovie gives you an indication of how fast it will be on average.

Final Cut X is great for video work, but only if you have a dedicated amd gpu built in for acceleration - which your choice does not.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I use the 13 inch Pro for editing via FCPX - I'm using it right now in fact, alongside a Samsung X5 as my external editing drive. Doesn't miss a beat.
Initially this was a stop gap until the iMAC was refreshed, but its working so well Ive decided to stick with it for now.....
Spec in sig.

alongdingdong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
So after looking closer at the 13 inch Macbook pro with touchbar, it actually uses a Quadcore I5, and a slightly better intergrated videocard..

300 USD difference with its lower tier pro model.
Duo Core I5 vs Quadcore I5 and a better video card. Those two things add more long livity to my 13 inch laptop for at least another 1/2 years i would say.. worth the investment i think.

I use the 13 inch Pro for editing via FCPX - I'm using it right now in fact, alongside a Samsung X5 as my external editing drive. Doesn't miss a beat.
Initially this was a stop gap until the iMAC was refreshed, but its working so well Ive decided to stick with it for now.....
Spec in sig.
Awesome, Are you using the Duo Core I5 or the Quad Core I5 (Macbook Pro with the touch bar)

As i have spend quite bit of time now contemplating but the 15 inch is just too big for me to carry around with me daily/weekly.

The Quadcore I5 is the one i will probably end up buying, i feel the duo core I5 in 2019 would cheat me out of my money on a older processor. Not saying its bad, but its not 2010 anymore lol :D

May i ask what kind of videos you work with? 4K? and do you do a lot of editing with multiple channels? all kinds off transition effects etc? because i am a bit afraid.

The 13 Inch has a intergrated videocard and i just dont know how well she will work smoothly with my video projects. I wish the 15 inch would just be bigger, but that one has a better video card and other benefits, but is almost 400 gram heavier and much bigger in size (weight matter for hand cary airplanes, keep my trips cheap lol)
[doublepost=1554884898][/doublepost]So now i am looking at this model.

https://www.apple.com/hk/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/13-inch-space-gray-256gb-2.3ghz-quad-core#

• 2.3GHz quad-core 8th‑generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz <- Quadcore is what i prefer.
  • Retina display with True Tone
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 <- still very meh, plus it does perform better with the I7 quadcore
  • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory <- 15 inch model has higher speedbus RAM :(
  • 256GB SSD storage
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • Backlit Keyboard - US English
So this will set me back around 1800 USD in hong kong brand new.

For video editing in FCPX i think the I7 will not make tons of difference when rendering the videos of ~ 10 to 20 minutes of downsampled 4K footage to 1080p videos for youtube
(daily videos, short turn around is key for me plus most subs use smartphones)

I heard the GPU is more important for FCPX, the one on the 15 inch models are far superior to this onboard GPU so i am a bit iffy if i just should fork out the extra money for the I7 so the iris 655 onboard GPU is fully utilized and gives the best performance or not.

But if there is a rendering difference of 3~5 minutes i dont feel its worth the extra money.
But then again having smooth editing with preview while editing is kinda must, and thats what the I7 may give over the I5. IDK.

I guess i going for this option, i dont know if i should wait till october or just buy it this summer due the rumors of not getting a new pro in 2019.
[doublepost=1554886846][/doublepost]
Take footage of yours and test your workload on a demo machine. Using iMovie gives you an indication of how fast it will be on average.

Final Cut X is great for video work, but only if you have a dedicated amd gpu built in for acceleration - which your choice does not.

Thanks, i will play with it at the stores to see, how it performs.
I am just worried about the GPU just not holding a candle to the CPU in FCPX and being the bottleneck and giving me just a undesired result, mind you i am currently running my videos of my wintel RIG with a GTX1080 and I7 CPU.

This will be my wifes game PC, i want to have my own dedicated laptop because i travel frequently for my videos which require me lots of outdoors stuff, so a light and compact setup is really making all the difference.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Unless you absolutely-positively MUST have portability for your editing, you'd do better (and get more power) by buying a 27" iMac (properly-equipped) instead.

More for your money, too.

alongdingdong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
Unless you absolutely-positively MUST have portability for your editing, you'd do better (and get more power) by buying a 27" iMac (properly-equipped) instead.

More for your money, too.

Yeah because that fit so easy in a backpack.... i guess you are the guy in your avatar, it makes all sense now.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"i guess you are the guy in your avatar, it makes all sense now."

I chose my avatar with GREAT care... ;)

alongdingdong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
"i guess you are the guy in your avatar, it makes all sense now."

I chose my avatar with GREAT care... ;)
Haha, sorry if i came across like a ass. I understand a dedicated rig is much better and cheaper especially a windows based machine (using one now) but i travel alot through europe for competition and need a light setup also due the carry in weight for planes.

After looking for hours at the specs, i cannot otherwise conclude that for video editing i must get the 15 Inch model.

I5 processor with 6 Cores, Faster 16 GB RAM, Much better dedicated GPU, bigger battery.

Downside its much bigger but do-able, weights around 400~ grams more, kind of annoying for handcarry both your clothes and all your video equipment for the weekend in airplanes.

The 13 inch model has a build in crappy GPU, slower RAM, less cores on the I5. And in terms of a maxed out 13 inch with touch bar the price is very close to the 15 inch entry model...

Last edited:

alongdingdong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
So i will visist several Mac Stores this few weeks as i have the luxery of a 2 month gap between my last work day in hong kong and moving back to my home country.

I will do various tests to render videos with 4K footage, anyone has some tips of stock footage that is used as a benchmark? like a certain 4K file that is frequently used to benchmark hardware. I will also take some of my own 4K footage and do some quick editing and testing.

I also will just for fun and giggles install a game to compare performance, i dont really intent to play games on it, but it gives me a idea about FPS and heat.

The reason i ask so much is that in the past i had the 2014 mid Imac. And it was a big disappointment for most stuff i would do on it, it was just slow.

It had these specs. It just sucked but it was only 1200 USD compared to the ~ 2000 dollar laptops i am looking now only 5 years later (actually 4 because its a 2018 macbook pro model)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.4 GHz Intel "Core i5" processor (4260U) with two independent processor "cores" on a single chip, a 3 MB shared level 3 cache, 8 GB of onboard 1600 MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM (which cannot be upgraded later), a 500 GB (5400 RPM) hard drive, and an "integrated" Intel HD Graphics 5000 graphics processor that shares system memory. It also has a built-in "FaceTime HD" webcam and stereo speakers.

This model has a 21.5" 1920x1080 LED-backlit 16:9 widescreen IPS display with the "cover glass fully laminated to the LCD and anti-reflective coating." The rear of the case is aluminum and is thicker in the middle and tapers to a razor thin 5 mm at the edges.

Connectivity includes four USB 3.0 ports, dual Thunderbolt ports, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11ac Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n compatible)

The HDD was the biggest bottleneck in this thing and the build in GPU was horrible... And it was a dual core I5, something i am just refuse to purchase in 2019 on the mid tier 13 inch macbook pro`s. that `s just daylight robbery by apple.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now my current workhorse is a WINTEL machine with a I7 quadcore, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX1080 and SSD. offcourse this runs much better then a laptop for editing.

So i will start doing tests and see if its either going to be the top tier decked out 13 inch model or the lower end 15 inch model macbook pro.

I also dont know if i should wait out till october just in case a new macbook pro is announced.

Honestly i dont feel like dropping 2000 USD on a laptop, they last me most cases only 3~ years before they feel like a slug to me... I might just do some base testing of the basic 13 inch model, and if its acceptable just buy it at 1300 USD including FCPX and buy a IMAC later for my desk if i feel i need it.

I feel there are way tooo many compromises with the pro model of the macbook. I over estimated them i think.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.