Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danieleilertsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Oslo, Norway
When I open the mac its a pop sound. Its only there when the macbook is cold, and only the first time it opens. ike the sound of the aluminum casing unsticking from another surface. Hard to describe, listen closely to this video.

Video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wl62anrz8q00b8/IMG_0838.m4v?dl=0

I have changed the mac 3 times. 1 time because of screen flicker, two last times because of keyboard issues.

Everything seems perfect with this one, expect this pop sound. If its just a tech issue I will not exchange. I just wonder what the sound is, and if its worth changing.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
When I open the mac its a pop sound. Its only there when the macbook is cold, and only the first time it opens. ike the sound of the aluminum casing unsticking from another surface. Hard to describe, listen closely to this video.

Video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wl62anrz8q00b8/IMG_0838.m4v?dl=0

I have changed the mac 3 times. 1 time because of screen flicker, two last times because of keyboard issues.

Everything seems perfect with this one, expect this pop sound. If its just a tech issue I will not exchange. I just wonder what the sound is, and if its worth changing.

Sounds like the screen hinge is a bit tight or needs a little lubrication.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Thank you so much for the feedback. If do not do anything, will everything be ok, or should i change it?

I am really pleased with this macbook pro. No problems, only this.

If it is just too tight it might quit doing it after a while. If it gets worst, the Apple store can adjust the tension a little or apply some lube! It is not a serious problem.

Enjoy, I am enjoying mine!

danieleilertsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Oslo, Norway
If it is just too tight it might quit doing it after a while. If it gets worst, the Apple store can adjust the tension a little or apply some lube! It is not a serious problem.

Enjoy, I am enjoying mine!

Cheers! will keep mine. Amazing machine. It only does this sound when its cold. I recon that fits with what you say?

If I understand you correct. Its not a problem, its only the sound`?

danieleilertsen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Oslo, Norway
well thanks a lot-dee-dot, now MY 2010 macbook air makes that sound.
i should have NEVER opened that video!

haha, never noticed it before?
[doublepost=1534275951][/doublepost]
I am betting so but if in doubt take it to an Apple Store.

There is no apple store where i live. The only option is to refund it and get a new one under the 14 day free exchange window
[doublepost=1534276005][/doublepost]
I am betting so but if in doubt take it to an Apple Store.

Also, have you noticed some small flicker, like a line just flicker once in a while? I recon that is software bug?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

There is no apple store where i live. The only option is to refund it and get a new one under the 14 day free exchange window

Also, have you noticed some small flicker, like a line just flicker once in a while? I recon that is software bug?

Guess it is up to you. Would love to visit Norway one day.
[doublepost=1534276412][/doublepost]My MBP has operated without a single flaw. no flickering.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I actually had this on one of the 2017 MBP that I got as a replacement for a graphics issue (which turned out to be a software issue anyways). I thought it was the rubber seal around the screen sticking to the body slightly, but it could be the hinge. I ended up getting another replacement for the graphics issue, but if I had kept that one I would have taken it in to get looked at.

My suggestion is to get a replacement. That would actually bug me personally. It's not supposed to make that much noise on opening. Could be the seal around the monitor sticking to the body, or it could be the hinge. Either way that could get irritating on such an expensive device.

My rule of thumb is if something like this is enough to ask the question on a forum, probably not a bad idea to reach out to Apple. Otherwise it's going to bug you down the road.
[doublepost=1534281887][/doublepost]

There have been several video bugs in High Sierra that some users experience but others don't. It could well be a software issue. If in doubt contact Apple so at least they have it on file should the issue continue after the Mojave update.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thank you so much for the feedback. If do not do anything, will everything be ok, or should i change it?

I am really pleased with this macbook pro. No problems, only this.

You can always see if there is any sign of it lessening or getting worse with use during the 14 day return period. Return it toward the end of the 14 days if your not happy with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.