Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rongbo Yang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2020
I've always tried to keep my MacBook pro charged and it only has 27 cycle count for now. Bu the full charge capacity has dropped significantly. Anything could result in this?

Attachments

• battery.png
    battery.png
    287 KB · Views: 241

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Do you still have apple care? Maybe it could be from leaving it plugged in all the time (never discharging it). Intense usage will generate a lot of heat which could explain the battery capacity. I have the I7 and have 93% from 8 months (had battery switched out because of the keyboard replacement in December 2019).

Discharge it to around 35-40% and charge it up 2-4 times a month. if you have any keyboard issues, they replace the whole top case assembly (keyboard, battery, bottom body).

Reactions: Fluttershy462

Rongbo Yang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2020
Do you still have apple care? Maybe it could be from leaving it plugged in all the time (never discharging it). Intense usage will generate a lot of heat which could explain the battery capacity. I have the I7 and have 93% from 8 months (had battery switched out because of the keyboard replacement in December 2019).

Discharge it to around 35-40% and charge it up 2-4 times a month. if you have any keyboard issues, they replace the whole top case assembly (keyboard, battery, bottom body).

My usage is mostly web browsing and very occasionally non-intensive programming (it's not my main machine). But it's always plugged in. I'll start to discharge it occasionally. Thanks for the advice!

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
My usage is mostly web browsing and very occasionally non-intensive programming (it's not my main machine). But it's always plugged in. I'll start to discharge it occasionally. Thanks for the advice!
No problem, definitely consult other members/sources. I’m not exactly sure why it’s so low in capacity, since it’s designed to be left plugged in all the time, especially with Catalina.

gahabana

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2017
i think it is due to Apple's smart 'battery health' managemet. i have/had similar issue with 2020 13" macbook pro.
go to energy settings, click on 'battery health' and turn it off.
your macbook is likely to charge now to 95%+ of original battery capacity.

if it does not, yes, i would take it to apple for 'repair'
let us know if it helped ?

tx!

cdelecole

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2020
How do you know what the max charge (mAh) should be when cometely charged and new ? Just asking

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.