Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomas130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
Hi

I have had my new macbook for around 7 months.

Last night it started to play up where the thunderbolt ports would not detect the power was plugged in. It has done this from day one and usually resetting the smc has fixed this.

I have tried to reset the nvram and smc but nothing has worked, I can hear a sound when I plug the charger in apart from that nothing.

I have spoke to a person at Apple who didn't seem to want to help that much.

The laptop has not been dropped nor had anything spilt on it however it does have a couple of dents on the top where it has been in my bag I am a little worried that Apple will try to use this as an excuse not to replace it or repair it.

Any ideas ?

Last edited:

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
As long as the laptop has not physically been abused (cracked LCD, missing keys, twisted hinge, etc), Apple should be able to service the laptop.

Since it's under 1 year, get it to an Apple store genius bar to have it diagnosed.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do you live anywhere close to a brick-n-mortar Apple Store?
Then make an appointment to take it in and have it looked over at the genius bar while it's still under warranty.
DON'T WAIT. Do it right away...

Reactions: profcutter

thomas130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
Well I manage to get a late apointment.

They have refuse the repair the laptop saying because of a slight dent that laptop must of being dropped or damage in some way.

Never dropped it the only that has ever happen months was an object in my bag scratch and dented the top of it.Not sure how that would cause a logic board to fail.

I guess i'm never buying an Apple product again, 1300 laptop that last 7 months.

Attachments

• IMG_1358.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG
    394.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    319.4 KB · Views: 115

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Well I manage to get a late apointment.

They have refuse the repair the laptop saying because of a slight dent that laptop must of being dropped or damage in some way.

Never dropped it the only that has ever happen months was an object in my bag scratch and dented the top of it.Not sure how that would cause a logic board to fail.

I guess i'm never buying an Apple product again, 1300 laptop that last 7 months.

That’s a bit more than a slight dent. It certainly looks like something fell on it or it fell and hit something.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
I doubt the dents would have damaged the power system, but the amount of force needed to produce them might have deformed the machine in a way that could have. Not easy to crease it that way.

Do you have any evidence the Thunderbolt ports weren't behaving properly since day one? That might help.

thomas130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
No not really .

The incidence in regards to the dent it happen months ago and no sign of problems apart from cosmetic which I accepted.

Quite clear that I won't get any help from them, i probably spend around £2000 a year with them but they have lost me as a customer.

thomas130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
Thanks for your suggestion, appreciated

I bit the bullet and brought a Razor as a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.