MacBook Pro 2019 Cosmetic Damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JackTwist, May 30, 2019.

1. JackTwist macrumors member

A couple of days ago, I made the return to Apple computers having been with the Surface Book line for the last few years. I purchased the 15" 2.4 GHZ, 32 GB ram, Vega 20 model in space grey from the Apple store. When I opened the box, I noticed about three little dings in the space grey paint, revealing the silver beneath. Now, normally, I would disregard little dings on a new purchase. But on something that cost over $4000, and located around the front of the device (one of which curves around the side onto the top where the trackpad lies, I find it annoying. I know, first world problem.

My question, has anyone else experienced cosmetic damage out of the box, and if so, did you exchange or try to get used to it?

2. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Hasn’t happened to me, but it does happen. I would return it and swap it.

3. vaugha macrumors 6502

You are not alone. I opened 7 2018 mbps 15” bto and only 2 of them were perfect out of the box. This process of ordering a bto model and opening it in store and returning it and ordering it again stretched out over a span of 4 months for me. At the end I settled on a reasonable model in late April. Then 1 month later, 2019 models were announced and called apple store if I could return it. They agreed. Now I’m waiting on my 2019 model. I hope I don’t have to go through lottery again to get a cosmetically acceptable one.

4. JackTwist thread starter macrumors member

I took the advice and went back to the store for a quick exchange. The employee was extremely understanding and happily did the exchange. Ended having a great conversation during the transaction. Returning home, I opened the new computer and it is perfect. Seeing this machine, I can actually tell there were more substantial cosmetic issues with the first system. All of the edges, whether on the outside or around the trackpad, had a weird sharp texture where it looked like sandpaper had been taken to them. This unit is smooth and immaculate. Glad I went in so I wouldn't continue to think about it.

I can also say, having gone to Windows for almost 3 years, it is nice to return home to macOS. Even the high-end Windows machines do not provide such a unified experience.

5. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I had one unit that had a series of knicks along the left side by the speaker grill, one of them quite sharp that would catch the cuff of my sleeve. I returned it for another.