Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petr0s

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2024
Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to the forum thing, so excuse me if I mess something up with posting or replying!

I've recently gotten a 2019 MacBook Pro 15" touchbar model with an i9 and a Pro Vega 20 graphics card.

A friend of mine who is more knowledgeable about Apple equipment went to check it out and told me that it looks and works fine, apart from its keyboard having a worn-out command key. The previous owner used the machine for web development, and the machine wasn't pressured that much (that means it was used at 100% CPU usage or something CPU-intensive was running on it).

After he bought the laptop, he went and swapped the keyboard and the battery for new ones, and since then, nothing else has been changed or repaired on the MacBook.

A couple of months later, I received the MacBook and wanted to restore the OS on it. Everything went smoothly, and I've installed a brand new copy of macOS Ventura (keep in mind I didn't use a manually created USB installer due to me not owning a USB-C hub for it, so I resorted to using Internet Recovery).

Once I finished installing all of the apps, I decided to do some work until everything went bad. Random kernel panics started happening, and they were completely random. For example, I could be using the laptop for a little bit and my system would crash (fan speed hits 100%, the touchbar goes blank, and the MacBook becomes totally unresponsive). Sometimes the MacBook could just be idling, and a random kernel panic would happen (in the same manner as mentioned before).

I've tried multiple reinstalls, even the newest version of macOS, hoping that it would fix the problem, but with no success.

I've read many posts that revolve around this model of MacBook crashing, and many of them suggest that it may be a hardware issue. I tried using EtreCheck to identify the problem; however, I had no success as it would always report that everything was fine except for the many kernel panic reports that were generated.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that sometimes when I would get the "Your computer was restarted due to an unexpected error/problem" message and when I would look for more info it would say report for bridgeOS or report for macOS. As far as I know, bridgeOS is used by the touchbar so maybe it can be a touchbar firmware problem?

Also, bootcamp with Windows works with no problem. The runtime is perfect, with no crashes! Using Windows is not a problem; however, I would've bought a PC for that and not a MacBook. If that's the only way to use it, let it be; however, I will try my best to keep macOS on it.

Sometimes I can use the MacBook with no problems on macOS; however, I haven't used it that much, as I was pretty disappointed when this started happening.

Do you guys have any ideas on what I could do to potentially fix this issue? Going to a repair shop is a possibility however, I am not to eager to do that as it would take me some time to find a suitable repair shop and the prices may be ridiculous.

P.S. Sorry for such a long post; I just wanted to give you guys the whole history of this machine.​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.