Macbook Pro 2019 - TrackpadGate ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by udflyer, May 25, 2019.

1. udflyer macrumors 6502

2. Thysanoptera macrumors 6502a

He noticed that the trackpad makes 'different' noise than 2018, but didn't even blink an eye when after starting 16 threads of primes his CPU utilization was below 50% and CPU power was oscillating between 20 and 60W. Even after he prepared his audience to expect immediate spike in CPU utilization. No comment about it, like it is perfectly normal when your CPU under constant load behaves like EKG of a dying crack addict (similar to what was happening with throttling algorithm on release of 2018 before throttling patch), but the trackpad sound and feel - big problem. I don't know, I have different priorities.
    OD_crack.jpg

3. Kung gu macrumors member

I would not worry about it, probably just his laptop. I watched many reviews about 2019 and NONE complained about trackpad. and stop making everything into a "gate".

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It just sounds different, I don't think its a "thing" and yes adding "gate" at the end of something is tiring and overdone.

5. ashcairo macrumors member

ashcairo

Just double checked mine, it's definitely quieter, but seems to work the same. Personally I recommend always tapping the trackpad instead of clicking, because clicking hard over the years caused acute arthritis in my finger joints.

6. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Please not another “Gate” thread, while I can understand it for certain things like the keyboard issue, it’s getting very silly now. I’ve watched a few YouTube videos of the 2019 MacBook Pro’s and not one of them have mentioned a trackpad issue.

7. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

8. DeanLubaki macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

My 2018 MacBook Pro is in repair, and so I bought the 2019 MacBook Pro until it's done repairing.
    Both keyboards sound exactly the same to me, and both trackpads sound the same to me...

9. Sloppygti macrumors newbie

I just got my 2019 after returning the 2018 and I followed exactly what he did with the trackpad and I couldn't replicate it on mine I think he just has a faulty one .

10. one_tech macrumors regular

one_tech

I got mine yesterday Mac Pro 2019
    I don’t feel any issue with my trackpad

11. dof250 macrumors regular

I'm hearing this "mechanical" sound since yesterday! When I put something under my MacBook and "bend" it a little it disappears... Guess I have to return it :(

12. dof250 macrumors regular

I've fixed my issue with the "mechanical" trackpad noise. I loosened up the screws underneath a little and the noise went away. Happy that I don't have to return it :) But a little sad that I need a screwdriver to fix a noise on a brand-new €3.3k machine.

13. vaugha macrumors 6502

14. ghanwani macrumors 65816

So keyboard is not any more silent on the 2019 with the 3rd gen keyboard?

15. DeanLubaki macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

Nope

16. RumorConsumer macrumors 6502a

RumorConsumer

17. kreasonos macrumors regular

I get way too many false clicks when I use tap to click.

18. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

This is definitely strange. So we have a 2018 MacBook Pro in our office that was purchased new, and we just purchased a refurb 2018 model directly from the Apple. Now I would assume (not sure on this though) that with the refurbs that Apple has switched the keyboard to the new design. Again I'm not sure on this so maybe someone can clarify. But I can tell you that the trackpad is awful. Its sounds very mechanical and loud and nothing like the 2018 model that was purchased new. I wonder if this has something to do with the design of the new keyboard?

19. kreasonos macrumors regular

The new design allows the trackpad to be replaced easily so maybe they anticipated a higher failure rate.

20. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

That's interesting and good to know. So I'm guessing that maybe that's how this new trackpad just feels and sounds? I really hate it but I guess there isn't anything that can be done about it.

21. kreasonos macrumors regular

22. Zerosopher macrumors regular

Zerosopher

I have just learned a new gate word for this year.