Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slcook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
I haven't been updating software on my laptop as I use it infrequently, however I have tried to do a software update from Mojave 10.14.6 to Sonoma and I am getting an error message saying there is no internet connection.

I have a MacBook Pro 2019. Specs listed below.

Verified and tried the following already:
  1. Available space for the update (I have ample available)
  2. Internet connection is sound and there are no issues
  3. Have tried to search for software versions on App store (found Ventura however my system wouldn't allow me to download it as the software version is not available).
If anyone has any recommendations as to what next steps I can take or if you advise I take it to an apple store I would be most appreciative of advice. 🙏

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm assuming you don't have an adapter to connect to Ethernet.

There was another user here that had the same symptom and he discovered that some malware had switched on SOCKS proxy (in network settings). Worth a check…and maybe run Malwarebytes.

You could download the installer package directly from Apple and make a USB installer:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Available space for the update (I have ample available)"

HOW MUCH free space do you have?

The new OS's require a VERY large amount of free space (which I'll guess is due to the needs to shuffle data around, create new containers/partitions, etc.

I recall reading that it takes around 60gb of "free space" -- less space than that, and the update may fail. (I could be wrong, and I welcome correction from others)

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I haven't been updating software on my laptop as I use it infrequently, however I have tried to do a software update from Mojave 10.14.6 to Sonoma and I am getting an error message saying there is no internet connection.

I have a MacBook Pro 2019. Specs listed below.

Verified and tried the following already:
  1. Available space for the update (I have ample available)
  2. Internet connection is sound and there are no issues
  3. Have tried to search for software versions on App store (found Ventura however my system wouldn't allow me to download it as the software version is not available).
If anyone has any recommendations as to what next steps I can take or if you advise I take it to an apple store I would be most appreciative of advice. 🙏

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Upgrade to monterey Or ventura. Download full installer first

slcook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
OP wrote:
"Available space for the update (I have ample available)"

HOW MUCH free space do you have?

The new OS's require a VERY large amount of free space (which I'll guess is due to the needs to shuffle data around, create new containers/partitions, etc.

I recall reading that it takes around 60gb of "free space" -- less space than that, and the update may fail. (I could be wrong, and I welcome correction from others)
I have 410GB available so I ruled this out as the problem. :)

slcook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2024
Upgrade to monterey Or ventura. Download full installer first
Hi StoneJack,

I tried to do that from the app store and couldn't get it to work either. Did the old restart, etc. No success. :(:confused:

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Hi StoneJack,

I tried to do that from the app store and couldn't get it to work either. Did the old restart, etc. No success. :(:confused:
make USB installer boot from USB and install from USB. It is easy since you already have installer app

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Download the free "Mist" utility from here:
(you want the "dmg" file)

Mist is a utility that will automatically download the OS version you want AND create a bootable USB flash drive for you.

It works well.

I recommend a 32gb flashdrive (although 16gb might work, try if that's all you have).

Then, boot from the flashdrive, COMPLETELY ERASE the internal drive, and start over.

Reactions: HDFan

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
Mist is a utility that will automatically download the OS version you want AND create a bootable USB flash drive for you.

It works well.
Yes, Mist does work well. Unfortunately, it needs Monterey or higher to run.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Grumpus wrote:
"Yes, Mist does work well. Unfortunately, it needs Monterey or higher to run."

Ah, yes, you're right about that -- I found that out when I tried to run Mist on my main Mac (2018 using Mojave).

In that case, I'd try to get ahold of the OS installer, and then try to use either "Diskmaker X" or "Install Disk Creator" (both free utilities) to put together the bootable flash drive.

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
Grab the InstallAssisstant.pkg from mrmacintosh.com, install it and it will place the Install macOS X.app to your /Applications folder, then launch it and it should upgrade. But, I may be wrong, but I didnt think upgrading from Mojave direct to Sonoma was supported

tonmischa

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2007
I am getting an error message saying there is no internet connection.

First:
Are you familiar with the Startup Security Utility?
Read about it here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/102522
Set "Secure Boot" to "Medium Security" and try the Sonoma Update again.

If this doesnt help, then:

Can you please describe what you did in more detail?
(Did you start the update via the System Preferences? Did it download ok? Did it "prepare" ok? Did the Mac tell you that it will do a restart now?)
In other words: At which exact point of the update did this error message appears?
Maybe a screenshot?

Do you use any kind of VPN software (maybe from work?)
Did you get the Mac from your work? (is it maybe forbidden from upgrading by your system administrator?)

Also note:
If you go the "USB Installer" Route (that others have suggested) you will have to set "Allowed Boot Media" to "Allow booting from external or removeable media" in the "Startup Security Utility".

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I was having some problems doing an update with network connectivity errors. Changed from Ethernet to wireless and the problem cleared. In your case maybe try connecting to a hotspot on your phone or a different router if that is possible to see if it makes a difference.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Here is the fix:
- back up your computer to a Time Machine
- reinstall macOS by shutting down your Mac, holding CMD+R and erasing the HDD, and then reinstalling macOS
- then, restore from backup
- then try to upgrade, it should work

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
@slcook You didn't say how you attempted to install Sonoma. Did you do it by rebooting and immediately pressing CMD-OPT-R to access Internet Recovery (IR)? [CMD-OPT-R is the version of IR that would install Sonoma, since that offers you the lastest OS compatible with your computer.]

If that didn't work, I'd erase the entire drive, reformat as APFS, do CMD-OPT-R to install Sonoma, and then restore your files from your backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.