Macbook Pro 3,1 2.6GHz Fans

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yurtal, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Yurtal macrumors member

Hi guys. I just wanted to ask if this is normal. I just acquired a 2.6GHz, 4GB of ram mid 2007 MBP and it often ramps up to 6000rpm fan speed without much strain.

Is this a regular occurrence on these models? And is it easy to take apart and maybe try and clean out some dust build up that could be contributing to the problem?

Cheers.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What is the temperature and the CPU activity during those fan speeds?

You can use iStat and Activity Monitor (select SHOW ALL PROCESSES) for that.

3. Yurtal thread starter macrumors member

around 60-70C

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Okay, what about the CPU usage (Activity Monitor > select SHOW ALL PROCESSES)?

Have you installed any fan control software?

Have you tried an SMC reset?

Have you made a fresh installation of the Operating System (OS) after you acquired the MBP?

5. Yurtal thread starter macrumors member

There is nothing major going on in activity monitor. Right now when I try and get the fans going, youtube gets them working hard but I guess thats normal. I did install a fresh snow leopard install and transfered data form a timemachine backup.

It seems to be acting normal right now but there have been times there the fans max out at 6000rpm with general web surfing.

Is it ok for the computer to be working so hard even if it is processing alot?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, as a lot of processing results in heat, thus the fans being used.

You can use FanControl to set fan speeds according to temperatures, so then the fans might only speed up at higher temperatures.

[​IMG]

You can also use ClickToFlash if you use Safari to disable Flash content, which is used for ads and thus the CPU is used a bit more than it has to.

[​IMG]

7. Yurtal thread starter macrumors member

oh great thanks so much for your help. I just have it a real test. I had pro tools running a loop with 4 Guitar Rig plugins and addictive drums plus youtube in the background. The temp for to 77C and the fans close to 6000rpm.